Tough Mudder Returns to Hampton Downs Motorsport Park
NEW ZEALAND: ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH?
Tough Mudder returns to NZ shores to drag adrenaline-seeking kiwis out of their comfort zone and into a new, epic level of mud, obstacles and pure grit.
Tough Mudder, Inc, the brand behind probably the toughest event on the planet, returns to New Zealand with two events guaranteed to test kiwi strength, stamina and teamwork on every level. The 2017 events will see the picturesque surroundings of Hampton Downs Motorsport Park host thousands of Tough Mudder fans on a brand new course taking in over 500 acres of the recently enhanced motorsport circuit and rolling farmland.
Kiwis who took part in the inaugural event in 2014 should expect things to look a little different this year. 2017’s improved 18-20k course includes over 20 obstacles, 80% of which are new, Tough-tested challenges delivered direct from the Tough Mudder Innovation Lab in New York for participants’ muddy pleasure.
New and improved obstacles making an appearance this year include:
- Arctic Enema, The Rebirth, an intense -2 degree bath, accessed via a head-first plunge through a tight, dark tube. Featuring 10 tonnes of ice, the obstacle is guaranteed to deliver the biggest, baddest brain freeze on the planet
- The Augustus Gloop, a brand new Roald Dahl-inspired claustrophobic tube with its own waterfall, which participants must fight their way through to conquer
- The Birth Canal, the latest obstacle to be announced from this year’s course, the Canal returns with improvements to get the heart racing. Participants must crawl through a gauntlet of sloshing, weighted barriers with over 100lbs of water above them – there’s no time to think, just move!
- Everest 2.0, a devilishly hard reimagining of the Tough Mudder original, set to test participants’ endurance to breaking point. This slick quarter pipe is over 15” tall, with a recurved top to make it even harder to get that all-important handhold.
With further obstacles to be announced in the run up to the event, one thing is for sure – Tough Mudder 2017 will be one for the books
In an exciting development, 2017 also sees the launch of Tough Mudder Half. Participants who are not quite ready to take on the full Tough Mudder can register for the first Tough Mudder Half, a brand new 8-10K, 10 obstacle challenge, that allows participants to take part alongside other runners and experience Tough Mudder at its best. The Half course gives participants a taste of what Tough Mudder stands for, without the Electro Shock Therapy and Arctic Enema experiences.
Tough Mudder Co-Founder and CEO, Will Dean, says: ‘We are thrilled that Tough Mudder is returning to New Zealand shores for 2017. New Zealand is one of my favourite destinations, it’s an adrenaline fan’s paradise, and we have no doubt that kiwis will take on our new, improved course in true Tough Mudder style. This year we’ll be bringing a new event – Tough Mudder Half – as well as brand new obstacles for thousands of new and returning Mudders.’
Tough Mudder and Tough Mudder Half are unique events in the adrenaline junkie calendar, with over 2 million people completing the iconic course globally to date. The event focuses on teamwork, camaraderie and accomplishing something that is as tough as the people who take it on. With no podiums, winners or clocks to race against, the events reject the everyday, allowing participants to face their fears and run straight through them.
Get in on the action! Tough Mudder will be coming to Auckland on Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th November. Participants can register for the event via the Tough Mudder NZ website.
Tough Mudder 2017 will be hosted on Saturday the 4th and Sunday 5th November 2017 at the Hampton Downs Motorsport Park.
Tickets for the Tough Mudder and the Tough Mudder Half are available from the Tough Mudder NZ website.
Tough Mudder is brought to New Zealand by Sports Media and Entertainment 360, which have signed an exclusive license agreement to manage Tough Mudder as part of a multiple year deal.
About Tough Mudder:
Co-Founder and CEO, Will Dean, came up with the concept for Tough Mudder as a second-year MBA candidate at Harvard Business School, submitting a proposal with the idea to the school’s Business Plan Contest. In 2010, less than a year later, Tough Mudder’s first event was held at a ski resort in Pennsylvania.
Since then, Tough Mudder has grown to become the premier adventure challenge series in the world, with participants collectively raising more than $12 million for charities worldwide.
Tough Mudder, Inc, the leading active lifestyle brand, will host over 130 events in 2017 in nearly a dozen countries. Since its founding in 2010, the company has hosted over 2.5 million people around the world. The brand has extended its offering to include Tough Mudder Half; Mini Mudder, a 1-mile obstacle course designed for kids aged 7-12; Tough Mudder Weekends; Toughest Mudder, an eight-hour, overnight competition series; and World’s Toughest Mudder, a grueling 24-hour endurance competition.
Can you take on Tough Mudder?
- 18-20k course
- 80% new obstacles
- 500,000 litres of mud
- 10 tonnes of ice at -2 degrees
- 10,000 volts of electricity
- Free beer for all participants
- Over 2 million people completed Tough Mudder globally