Cablegate: Estonia: Post's Aces Vetting Standard Operation Procedure
DE RUEHTL #0234 0951407
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
O 051407Z APR 07
FM AMEMBASSY TALLINN
TO SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 9714
UNCLAS TALLINN 000234
DEPT FOR EUR/NB - JAMES LOVELL AND DRL - WINSTON MANN
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: PHUM PGOV EN
SUBJECT: ESTONIA: POST'S ACES VETTING STANDARD OPERATION PROCEDURE
REF: MANN-LEE EMAIL 3/30/07
1. (SBU) In consultation with DRL (ref), Post has drafted a standard
operation procedure (SOP) for vetting Estonian military and/or law
enforcement taking part in DOD and/or FOAA funded programs per Leahy
Guidelines. Per post's SOP, the following checks will be
- Local agency check / LAC;
- Consular / INK checks; and
- Human rights check via press and local NGOs.
National level checks by other Executive Branch agencies will be the
responsibility of DRL.
2. (U) Unless informed otherwise by DRL, Post will follow this SOP
for vetting Estonians taking part in DOD and FOAA funded training
programs to discover any human rights violations or allegations.
3. (U) The Embassy point of contact (POC) is Political Officer Peter
Lee. Tel: +372-668-8201. Email: LeePH@state.gov.