Cablegate: Blue Lantern Level 3: Pre-License Check On
DE RUEHMO #4453 2540544
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
R 110544Z SEP 07
FM AMEMBASSY MOSCOW
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC 3726
INFO RUCPDOC/DEPT OF COMMERCE WASHDC
RHMFIUU/FBI WASHINGTON DC
UNCLAS MOSCOW 004453
DEPARTMENT FOR PM/DDTC - BLUE LANTERN COODINATOR
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: KOMC ETTC RS
SUBJECT: BLUE LANTERN LEVEL 3: PRE-LICENSE CHECK ON
REF: STATE 113599
1. (U) Reftel requested a pre-license check to confirm the bona
fides of FNPZ NefteGazAeroKosmos Ltd., the foreign end-user and NPO
Geophizika-NV, the foreign consignee listed on application
050056021. The commodities in question are 10 NV-2AMA White filters
(216mm x 168mm x 3mm) (NVIS filters) valued at USD 23,000.00.
2. (U) On September 4, 2007, we visited the headquarters of NPO
Geophizika-NV located at Matrosskaja Tishina 23, Building 2, Moscow
107076, Russia. The team met with Mr. Yury K. Gruzevich, Vice
President of NPO Geophisika-NV and Mr. Valery Toryanin, General
Director of FNPZ NefteGazAeroKosmos Ltd.
3. (U) FNPZ NefteGazAeroKosmos Ltd. and NPO Geophizika-NV have
supporting documentation for the transaction, including licenses for
research and development, production, and repair of equipment.
4. (U) NPO Geophizika-NV occupies 70,000 sq. meters in Eastern
Moscow. This location is restricted and secured by special Federal
Police Directorate. Only high-ranking company officials have access
to the highly-secure areas of the compound.
5. (U) At the request of FNPZ NefteGazAeroKosmos Ltd., NVIS filters
will be installed on 10 Ka-226 light civilian helicopters by
Geophisika-NV. These helicopters will then be used to monitor oil
and gas pipelines in remote areas. Gazprom eventually wants to
equip 150 helicopters with NVIS filters. NVIS filters are necessary
to make lights inside the helicopter crew cabin not interfere with
night vision goggles worn by pilots. These helicopters will be
parked in secure facilities in remote parts of Russia when not in
6. (U) NefteGazAeroKosmos was founded in 1996 and is a subsidiary
of the Russian oil and gas company, GazProm. GazProm proper owns 53
percent of NefteGazAeroKosmos. Selena-Aero, which serves as
GazProm's procurement arm for aerial operations, owns an additional
9 percent of NefteGazAeroKosmos, bringing the total GazProm interest
in NefteGazAeroKosmos to 62 percent. NPO Geophizika-NV is a
state-owned enterprise founded in 1849.
7. (U) FNPZ NefteGazAeroKosmos Ltd. and NPO Geophizika-NV keep
proper records of all transactions and store them in secure
8. (U) FNPZ NefteGazAeroKosmos Ltd. and NPO Geophizika-NV are aware
of all restrictions and regulations on USML and other export control
9. (U) Post confirms the bona fides of FNPZ NefteGazAeroKosmos Ltd.
as a reliable end-user and NPO Geophizika-NV as a reliable foreign
consignee of the NVIS filters as mentioned in Case 050056021.