Cablegate: Usau: Request for Supoort for Aviation Fuel For
O 100446Z JAN 08
FM AMEMBASSY ADDIS ABABA
TO SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 9090
INFO AMEMBASSY BUJUMBURA IMMEDIATE
AMEMBASSY KAMPALA IMMEDIATE
AMEMBASSY NAIROBI IMMEDIATE
DIA WASHINGTON DC IMMEDIATE
REUKJCS/SECDEF WASHINGTON DC IMMEDIATE
CDR USEUCOM VAIHINGEN GE IMMEDIATE
CDR USTRANSCOM SCOTT AFB IL IMMEDIATE
UNCLAS ADDIS ABABA 000071
AF/FO, AF RSA
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: KPKO MARR PGOV PREL
SUBJECT: USAU: REQUEST FOR SUPOORT FOR AVIATION FUEL FOR
BURUNDIAN AMISOM DEPLOYMENT
1. (U) This cable is from US Mission to African Union (USAU)
Dr. Cindy L. Courville.
2. (U) Summary. Political unrest in Kenya has interrupted
aviation fuel supplies into Burundi. Currently there is no
aviation fuel available for the Burundi to airlift their 1st
Battalion of Peacekeepers to Mogadishu in support of the
African Union AMISOM mission.
3. (U) USG has strongly supported the AMISOM mission by
providing $59.6M to the Ugandan deployment currently in
Mogadishu in addition to the $12.1M provided to the Burundi
government to support the Burundi deployment to relieve the
Ugandan forces currently deployed.
4. (U) Timing of the deployment of Burundi forces into
Mogadishu is crucial to properly relief the Ugandan forces
and ensuring the continued success of the African Union
AMISOM mission in Somalia.
5. (U) Understand the current plan for the airlift of the
Burundi forces calls for six airlift sorties requiring an
estimated 450,000 liters of Jet A1 Aviation Fuel.
6. (U) Understand the cost of providing the fuel will be
covered under the existing contract between the Department
and DynCorp and DynCorp would pay the fuel provider.
7. Strongly request Department to ask EUCOM/AFRICOM for
assistance in determining feasibility/possibility of
airlifting enough aviation fuel into Burundi to support this