Cablegate: Blue Lantern Level 3: Post-Shipment End-Use Check
DE RUEHC #9686 0581612
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
R 271609Z FEB 08
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO RUEHSA/AMEMBASSY PRETORIA 0000
RUEHGP/AMEMBASSY SINGAPORE 0000
INFO RUCPDOC/USDOC WASHINGTON DC 0000
RUEKJCS/SECDEF WASHINGTON DC
RUEPINS/HQ BICE INTEL WASHINGTON DC 0000
UNCLAS STATE 019686
PRETORIA FOR BAIMBA YILLA
SINGAPORE FOR ELIZABETH CROSSEN
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ETTC SF SN KOMC
SUBJECT: BLUE LANTERN LEVEL 3: POST-SHIPMENT END-USE CHECK
ON LICENSE 05-050031210
REF: 2006 BLUE LANTERN GUIDEBOOK
1. This is an Action Request. See paragraphs 2-4.
2. The Department's Office of Defense Trade Controls
Compliance (PM/DTCC) requests Posts' assistance in conducting
a post-shipment end-use check on license number 05-050031210
for the export of defense hardware to Singapore. Posts are
requested to complete this Blue Lantern inquiry within 45
days. Lack of response to a Blue Lantern inquiry will affect
pending and future licenses involving parties to this license.
3. Reason for request: Unfamiliar foreign intermediate
consignee and foreign consignee.
4. Action Pretoria and Singapore: Department requests that
Posts make inquiries to establish the bona fides of South
African-based foreign consignee Poynting Antennas and
Singapore-based foreign intermediate consignee Stelop,
respectively. Conduct site visits to assess the companies'
reliability as recipients of United States Munitions List
(USML) articles as well as their operations and on-site
security. If site visits are not possible, please inform
PM/DTCC case officer. Remind the companies that the
unauthorized re-export or retransfer of USML items is
The following questions provide suggested guidance:
(To Stelop and Poynting Antennas)
- Please confirm that an order was shipped under license
- How long has your company been in the business of
importing and selling defense articles? In what other name(s)
has your company done
business, if any?
- Are you familiar with the restrictions against the
unauthorized re-export or retransfer of U.S.-origin defense
- What other products are sold by your company?
- Who are your regular customers and where are they located?
(Singapore: Ministry of Home Affairs)
- Please confirm that you received the items listed on
05-050031210 and that they are being used for the stated
- How long has the Ministry of Home Affairs done business
- What were the specific roles of Stelop and Poynting in the
transaction described in No. 5, below?
End Action Request.
5. Details of license application:
DTC Case: 05-050031210
2 Rotron Fans P/N 022610, PX3BM 115AC N 763ZH
License Value: USD $2,294.
Ametek Inc. DBA Ametek Rotron
55 Hasbrouck Lane
Woodstock, NY 12498
FOREIGN INTERMEDIATE CONSIGNEE:
STELOP (ST Electronics)
24 Ang Mo Kio Street
65 Blk D, 5th Floor
Poynting Antennas (Pty) Ltd.
33 Thora Crescent
Tel: (02) 9878 0977
Fax: (02) 9878 3615
(A.C.N./A.B.N. 092 893 644)
Ministry of Home Affairs
Police Coast Guard
The fans will be part of an air conditioning system for a
Radome that will house an antenna system. This system is
forwarded to STELOP which manufactures the EO Payload System
for the Police Coast Guard in Singapore.
6. Submitted in support of the license application were the
following documents (PM/DTCC will fax documentation to Posts
- Nontransfer and Use Certificate dated 12/19/05
- End User Statement from Integrated Spectronics dated
- Purchase Order No. 00005709 from Integrated Spectronics
Pty Ltd dated 02/15/05
7. Please slug reply for PM/DTCC - BLUE LANTERN COORDINATOR
and include the words "Blue Lantern" and the case number in
the subject line. POC is Rachael-Therese S. Joubert-Lin,
Phone: 202-663-2950; Email: JoubertLinRS@state.gov; SIPRNET:
JoubertLinRS@state.sgov.gov. The Blue Lantern Guidebook
(ref) is available as a PDF file in the Bunche Library's
E-Book Collection on the DOS Intranet:
BlueLanternGuidebook2006%20 final .pdf
8. Department is grateful for Posts' assistance in this