Cablegate: Blue Lantern Level 3: Post-Shipment End-Use Check
DE RUEHC #0234 0591518
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
R 281513Z FEB 08
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO RUEHLO/AMEMBASSY LONDON 0000
RUEHMS/AMEMBASSY MUSCAT 0000
INFO RUCPDOC/USDOC WASHINGTON DC 0000
RUEKJCS/SECDEF WASHINGTON DC
RUEPINS/HQ BICE INTEL WASHINGTON DC
UNCLAS STATE 020234
LONDON FOR OLIVER J. MOSS
MUSCAT FOR BRIAN M. GRIMM
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ETTC UK OM KOMC
SUBJECT: BLUE LANTERN LEVEL 3: POST-SHIPMENT END-USE CHECK
ON LICENSE 05-050036317
REF: 2006 BLUE LANTERN GUIDEBOOK
1. This is an Action Request. See paragraphs 2-4.
2. The Department's Office of Defense Trade Controls
Compliance (PM/DTCC) requests Posts' assistance in conducting
a post-shipment end-use check on license number 05-050036317
for the export of defense hardware to Oman. Posts are
requested to complete this Blue Lantern inquiry within 45
days. Lack of response to a Blue Lantern inquiry will affect
pending and future licenses involving parties to this license.
3. Reason for request: Watchlisted foreign consignee has
never been the subject of a Blue Lantern inquiry.
4. Action London: Department requests that Post make
inquiries to establish the bona fides of Amsafe Bridport as a
responsible recipient of United States Munitions List (USML)
items. Conduct a site visit in order to assess the company's
operations, reliability, and on-site security. If a site
visit is not possible, please inform PM/DTCC case officer.
Reiterate that unauthorized re-exporting and retransfer of
USML items is strictly prohibited. The following questions
provide suggested guidance:
- Please confirm an order that was shipped under license
- How long has your company been in the business of
importing and selling defense articles? What other products
are sold by your company?
- Are you familiar with the restrictions against the
unauthorized re-export or retransfer of U.S.-origin defense
- Who are your regular customers and where are they located?
Action Muscat: Department requests that Post make inquiries
to determine whether or not the Sultanate of Oman received
the below-listed items for the purpose stated on the license.
End Action Request.
5. Details of license application:
DTC Case: 05-050036317
1 Electronic Component Assembly: P/N 622-1495-002, Spare Part
for the AN/ARC-159 UHF Radio
License Value: USD $1,575.
P.O.Box 6540 E. Port Station
107 Trumbull Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07206-0540
Ashley Burnett, Buyer
Tel: 44 1425 474760
Fax: 44 1425 474986
Email: www.amsafe.com; Ashley.Burnett@amsafe.com
Royal Air Force of Oman
Royal Air Force Supply Depot
Postal Code 111
Sultanate of Oman
PURPOSE: Spare part for AN/ARC-159 radio set to be used on
the Omani Puma Helicopter.
6. Submitted in support of the license application were the
following documents (PM/DTCC will fax documentation to Posts
- End-User Undertaking from AmSafe Bridport (undated):
References Contract #20000107001237
- Purchase Order No. 131665 From AmSafe Bridport to Liberty
Logistics dated 28 February 2007
7. Please slug reply for PM/DTCC - BLUE LANTERN COORDINATOR
and include the words "Blue Lantern" and the case number in
the subject line. POC is Rachael-Therese S.Joubert-Lin,
Phone: 202-663-2950; Email: JoubertLinRS@state.gov; SIPRNET:
JoubertLinRS@state.sgov.gov. The Blue Lantern Guidebook
(ref) is available as a PDF file in the Bunche Library's
E-Book Collection on the DOS Intranet:
BlueLanternGuidebook2006%20 final .pdf
8. Department is grateful for Posts' assistance in this