Cablegate: Bogota's Nominee for Training On Forced Labor And
DE RUEHBO #0856 0661553
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
O 061553Z MAR 08
FM AMEMBASSY BOGOTA
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 1736
INFO RUEHC/DEPT OF LABOR WASHDC IMMEDIATE
UNCLAS BOGOTA 000856
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: AMGT ELAB OTRA PHUM
SUBJECT: BOGOTA'S NOMINEE FOR TRAINING ON FORCED LABOR AND
CHILD LABOR IN WASHINGTON, D.C. APRIL 10-11
REF: SECSTATE 13514
1. Post nominates Labor and Human Rights Officer Kelly A.
Hapka (Kelly H. Carrillo on the e-mail system).
2. Mrs. Hapka-Carrrillo is expected to depart post on July
3. Colombia is a high priority country with critical labor
and human rights issues. The labor officer in Colombia is
responsible for tracking and reporting on labor trends and
statistics, particularly in regard to labor union killings,
prosecutions of those responsible, and GOC's protection
program progress. The labor officer coordinates with DOL on
the Child Labor Eradication project at post.
4. Estimated cost of a round trip ticket USD 670.
5. Post does not have funding for this training, and
appreciates all assistance that DOL and DRL can provide.