Cablegate: Usaid Representative in Mazar-I-Sharif Urges
PP RUEHAG RUEHAST RUEHBW RUEHDA RUEHDF RUEHFL RUEHIK RUEHKW RUEHLA
RUEHLN RUEHLZ RUEHPOD RUEHROV RUEHSR RUEHVK RUEHYG
DE RUEHSM #0369 1410557
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 200557Z MAY 08
FM AMEMBASSY STOCKHOLM
TO RUEHBUL/AMEMBASSY KABUL PRIORITY 0081
RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 3445
INFO RUEHZL/EUROPEAN POLITICAL COLLECTIVE PRIORITY
RUEHZG/NATO EU COLLECTIVE PRIORITY
RUEKJCS/DOD WASHDC PRIORITY
UNCLAS STOCKHOLM 000369
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: EAID EFIN ECON PGOV PREL MARR MASS AF SW
SUBJECT: USAID REPRESENTATIVE IN MAZAR-I-SHARIF URGES
SWEDES TO INTEGRATE CIVILIAN ADVISORS AND MILITARY MORE
1. (SBU) On May 15-16, Deputy Economic Counselor accompanied
USAID Field Program Officer (FPO) from Mazar-i-Sharif to
meetings at the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs,
Ministry of Defense, Swedish Military Intelligence and
Security Directorate, and the Swedish International
Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA). FPO shared the
following observations at the close of a two-year tour in
- The Swedish government should focus on integrating its
civilian advisors with its military more effectively.
- The German-led Regional Command North headquarters in Mazar
would benefit from a greater civilian presence (only two
civilians at present).
- Swedish pre-deployment military training should include the
civilian advisors with whom the Swedish military will work.
- Swedish troop deployments to Mazar should be longer than
six months to improve results. (Sweden currently has 350
troops covering four provinces in northern Afghanistan.)
Swedish civilians stay in the PRT for a full year.
- The Swedish military could win more "hearts and minds" in
the local population by having some type of Civilian Military
Cooperation (CIMIC) funds at its disposal for small projects
with an immediate and visible impact that do not interfere
with long-term development.
- The Swedish PRT should begin to utilize Afghan expertise
2.(SBU) FPO also identified the following sectors where SIDA
should focus Swedish aid efforts:
- Rule of Law
- Access to water and water usage
- Groundwater hydro-geological assessments.
3. (SBU) The Swedes said they appreciated these comments, but
did not provide any substantive replies to these
observations. Post will follow up to report Swedish