Cablegate: Blue Lantern Level 3: Post-Shipment End-Use Check On License 050073566
DE RUEHC #8722 1541347
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
R 021338Z JUN 08
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO RUEHBO/AMEMBASSY BOGOTA 0000
RUEHBR/AMEMBASSY BRASILIA 0000
INFO RHMCSUU/FBI WASHINGTON DC 0000
RUEAIIA/CIA WASHINGTON DC 0000
RUCPDOC/USDOC WASHINGTON DC 0000
RUEKJCS/SECDEF WASHINGTON DC
RUEPINS/HQ BICE INTEL WASHINGTON DC
UNCLAS STATE 058722
COLOMBIA FOR ARI NATHAN AND BRAZIL FOR PETER TINSLEY
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ETTC KOMC CO BR
SUBJECT: BLUE LANTERN LEVEL 3: POST-SHIPMENT END-USE CHECK ON LICENSE 050073566
REF: 2006 BLUE LANTERN GUIDEBOOK
1. This is an Action Request. See paragraphs 2-4.
2. The Department's Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance (PM/DTCC) requests Embassies, assistance in conducting a post-shipment check on license 050073566 for the export of Super Tucano aircraft parts to Colombia. Embassies are requested to complete this Blue Lantern check within 45 days. Lack of response to a Blue Lantern check will affect pending and future licenses involving parties to this license. 3. Reason for request: Lack of documentation from Colombian Air Force (CAF), and unfamiliar foreign intermediate consignee, Darrigo & Valente Transportes, Ltda. (in Brazil).
4. ACTION Bogota: Embassy is requested to make inquiries with appropriate host government officials to determine if the CAF has received the Super Tucano spare parts from Embraer and that the articles are being used for the purpose stated on the license. Export data indicates that items worth $1,898 shipped from the United States on January 7, 2008. Due to lack of documentation from the end-user, post is requested to exercise its contacts within the Colombian MOD to verify this order. (It may be helpful to reference the Embraer POC, Raul Calminatti, XXXX, Purchase Order No. 900192943 signed October 3, 2007). END ACTION
BOGOTA ACTION Brasilia: Department requests that Embassy conduct a site visit to Darrigo & Valente Transportes, Ltda. (DVT) in order to verify its bona fides. Embassy is urged to assess DVT,s reliability as a recipient of USML articles, and assess its operations and on-site security. Emphasize that the unauthorized re-export and retransfer of USML items is strictly prohibited. Can DVT provide documentation establishing its order for the items in question and that the CAF is the final end user? END ACTION BRASILIA.
5. Details of license application: DTC Case: 050073566
QUANTITY/COMMODITY: 6 P/N 3E2652 Mounting Bracket 1 P/N 3E2311 Timer License Value: USD 1,898
SELLER: Goodrich Corporation De-Icing & Specialty Systems Division 1555 Corporate Woods Pkwy. Uniontown, OH 44685-8799
FOREIGN CONSIGNEE: Embraer - Empresa Brasileira De Aeronautica S/A Avenida Brigadeiro Faria Lima, 2170 Sao Jose Dos Campos Brazil FOREIGN INTERMEDIATE CONSIGNEE Darrigo & Valente Transportes, Ltda. Rua Oslo, 187-Vila Letonia Sao Jose dos Campos Brazil Figwal Transportes Internacionais, Ltda. Rua Felix de Sousa, 71-VI. Congonhas Sao Pablo Brazil Minoica Global Logistica, Ltda. Rua Jose Sierra, 21- Eldorado Centro Industrial e Empresarial Sao Jose dos Campos Brazil ATrade de Cargo do Brasil, Ltda. Rodovia Helio Smitdt, s/n 2 Andar Sala 25 Aeroporto Internacional de Sao Palo Guarulhos Brazil
FOREIGN END-USER: Colombian Air Force Ministerio De Defensa Nacional Grupo Contratacion Estatal Avenida El Dorado CAN Carrera 52 - Oficina 203 Bogota DC Colombia
PURPOSE: For incorporation into the Super Tucano aircraft manufactured by Embraer, or to be used as spare parts for the said aircraft, for delivery to the Colombian Air Force.
6. Please slug reply for PM/DTCC - BLUE LANTERN COORDINATOR and include the words "Blue Lantern" and the case number in the subject line. PM/DTCC can fax documentation to post upon request. POC is Tim Mazzarelli, Phone: XXXX; Email: XXX; SIPRNET: XXXXX.
The Blue Lantern Guidebook (ref) is available as a PDF file in the Bunche Library's E-Book Collection on the DOS Intranet: http://buncheelectroniclibrary.state.gov/eboo ks/
BlueLanternGuidebook2006%20 final .pdf
7. Department is grateful for post's assistance in this matter.