Cablegate: Human Rights Vetting for August 11 Acss Workshop
DE RUEHLGB #0517 2141016
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
P 011016Z AUG 08
FM AMEMBASSY KIGALI
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 5495
INFO RUEKJCS/SECDEF WASHINGTON DC
UNCLAS KIGALI 000517
DEPT FOR AF/C, DRL/PHD, PM/RSAT AND L/PM
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: MARR MASS PREL RW
SUBJECT: HUMAN RIGHTS VETTING FOR AUGUST 11 ACSS WORKSHOP
REF: A. 07 KIGALI 849
B. 07 KIGALI 747
C. 07 KIGALI 743
1. (U) This is an action request, see paragraph 2.
2. (SBU) Per Leahy Amendment human rights vetting
requirements, please screen the following individual
scheduled to attend the ACSS workshop in Kampala, Uganda
Last Name First Name Rank DOB
--------- ---------- ---- ---
Rusagara Frank Brig Gen. 1955
Date(s) of Training: August 11-15 2008
3. (SBU) Post has discovered no derogatory information on
the nominee(s) from its own files or reputable sources.
4. (SBU) Brig. Gen. Rusagara was acquitted on charges of
obstruction of justice in 2007, when he was accused of
interefering with police attempts to arrest a businessman in
connection with the collapse of a construction site. See
reftels. This is the only reference we found linking Brig.
Gen. Rusagara to any potentially negative activities.
5. (U) Post point of contact is intern Emily Narkis.