Cablegate: Demonstration at U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires
R 051755Z NOV 08
FM AMEMBASSY BUENOS AIRES
TO SECSTATE WASHDC 2423
UNCLAS BUENOS AIRES 001531
Department for DS/IP/WHA and DS/DSS/CC
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: ASEC PREL KISL AR
SUBJECT: DEMONSTRATION AT U.S. EMBASSY BUENOS AIRES
1. At 6:30 PM [local time] on Monday, 3 November 2008, two
pro-Islamic groups converged on the U.S. Embassy and held a
non-violent demonstration near the main entrance.
2. A group of about 60 - 70 individuals from the Argentine Arab
Federation and the At-Tauhid mosque protested against the U.S.
military action on the Syrian-Iraq border and U.S. policy in the
3. Federal police and a host nation anti-riot unit were deployed to
the embassy in accordance with the RSO contingency plan.
Additionally, RSO notified all embassy personnel of the event in
advance and disseminated precautionary measures via the Open Net and
4. The demonstration concluded at 8:00 PM. There were no injuries or
damage to U.S. government property
5. Point of contact is RSO Scott Campbell or ARSO Jesse Thomas.