TIMOR TODAY 17 March 2000
TIMOR TODAY 17 March 2000
For full text see... http://www.easttimor.com/
a) Indonesian Attorney General Marzuki Darusman, far right, holds the report of the National Commission for Human Rights (KOMNAS HAM) investigation on East Timor, as he congratulates members of the committee (from left to right) H.S. Dillon, Albert Hasibuan, Bambang W. Suharto, and Djoko Sugianto in Jakarta on January 31, 2000. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)
1) Noose is tightening on Generals invoved in Timor violence 17/03/00 (Tapol) The Attorney General will now appoint an interrogation team which will include prosecutors, and elements from the police and the military police and he has agreed to a suggestion that a team of experts should be set up to make proposals about how the interrogators should proceed.
2) Wiranto could go on trial in three months 17/03/00 (Suara Pembaruan) JAKARTA - After attending a plenary session of the DPR Monday, the Minister for Law and Legislation, Yusril Izha Mahendra said that Wiranto could go on trial in three months, once the draft law on a Human Rights Court has been enacted by the parliament.
3) Pro-Jakarta Timorese move east 17/03/00 (Straits Times) GENEVA -- More than 1,000 mostly anti-independence East Timorese have left camps in West Timor, raising hopes that many more will soon decide to go home, the United Nations refugee agency said on Tuesday.
4) Indonesia proposes joint posts with UN for Timor border area 17/03/00 (Agence France Presse) JAKARTA - Indonesian security authorities have proposed the setting up of joint posts with the UN Transitional Administration to assure security around the border between West and East Timor, a report said Wednesday.
5) Ahern writes to Wahid on Timor attacks 17/03/00 (The Irish Times) The Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Mr Ahern has called on Presdient Wahid of Indonesia to take urgent action to stop the recent spate of militia incursions into East Timor. On the final day of his official visit to Australia, which followed a trip to East timor last week, Mr. Ahern released the text of a letter which he wrote to Mr. Wahid.
6) Indonesia to build air base in West Timor 17/03/00 (Lusa) Jakarta - The Indonesian military plan to build a new air base in West Timor to control air traffic in and out of East Timor, Air Force chief of staff General Hanafie Asnan announced Wednesday in Jakarta.
7) Peace keeping News: Philippines & NZ 17/03/00 (Agence France Presse) MANILA - Some 457 Philippine troops will sail for East Timor next week to join a peacekeeping mission in the former Indonesian province, the military said Wednesday.
USAID jobs vacancies - UPDATE** 16/03/00 (USAID) Washington - USAID is seeking East Timorese expatriates who wish to return to East Timor for long term employment. The USAID program focuses on community led development, civil society strengthening, independent media outlets, and strengthening East Timorese leadership.
8) Humanitarian Pillar Situation Report 14 to 15 Mar 2000 17/03/00 (UNTAET) DILI - Review of the Consolidated Appeal Process (CAP): A review of humanitarian objectives achieved from October 1999 through April 2000 has begun. It is anticipated that the review will produce an inventory of accomplishments during this period. The review also intends to provide an analysis of the current situation as well as an accounting for contributions received to date.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also
unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a
BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org