TIMOR TODAY 27 March 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Australians fire on militia 27/03/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) Dili - Australian peacekeepers based along East Timor's tense western border with Indonesia have fired at a patrol of pro-Jakarta militia, their first hostile engagement as members of the United Nations force that took over from Interfet last month.
2) Jakarta deadline for refugees give rise to starvation fear 27/03/00 (IPS) DARWIN, Australia (IPS, March 23) -- There is fear that more than 100,000 East Timorese refugees still languishing in West Timor could face starvation as the deadline fast approaches before Indonesia cuts off all aid to the camps.
3) Refugee disaster looms as aid deadline nears 27/03/00 (Jakarta Post) ATTAMBUA - A colossal humanitarian disaster involving 100,000 refugees is looming as the March 31 aid cutoff date approaches for those East Timorese remaining in Indonesia.
4) There's No Palce Like Home, say refugees 27/03/00 (The AustralAsian) DILI, East Timor -- Esperanto da Delve was beaming with a smile. "Nothing better than coming home", he said.
5) Defence Expert: Claims Of Spy Flights `a Smear' 27/03/00 (The Age) CANBERRA -- Indonesian military figures associated with the discredited Suharto regime are deliberately smearing Australia with unsubstantiated allegations of unauthorised RAAF spy flights over the archipelago, senior Australian defence and intelligence figures claim.
6) East Timor people give UN two years to accomplish task 27/03/00 (Antara) Atambua - The people of East Timor have given the United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET) two years to accomplish its task in the area, a church leader said.
7) Antara chief lodges "strong protest" against Australian paper 27/03/00 (Antara) Jakarta - Parni Hadi, outgoing chief of Antara national news agency, has lodged a strong protest against the Australian daily the Sydney Morning Herald', which has accused Antara of spreading anti-Australia reports during the referendum process in East Timor.
8) IOM: Timor Activity Update: 24 Mar 2000 27/03/00 (IOM) There is a continuing need to return displaced people in West Timor to their communities of origin in East Timor, in order for rehabilitation, reconstruction and development to begin.
9) UNTAET/REG/2000/13: Development Councils 27/03/00 (UNTAET) A system for the establishment of Village Development Councils (hereinafter: Village Council) and Sub-District Development Councils (hereinafter: Sub-District Council) in East Timor is set out in the present regulation.
10) UNTAET/REG/2000/9: Border Regs 27/03/00 (UNTAET) The Border Service shall be managed by a Border Service Controller (hereinafter: the Controller), who shall be appointed by the Transitional Administrator after consultation in the National Consultative Council.
11) UNTAET Daily Briefing 24 March 2000 27/03/00 (UNTAET) Today, the Transitional Administrator, Sergio Vieira de Mello, inaugurated the Public Service Commission. The Commission is an independent body that will oversee the proper functioning of the East Timorese administration. Three Timorese and two internationals were sworn in after signing the oath of office.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also
unsubscribe fromá the list via email simply by sending a
BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org