TIMOR TODAY 31 March 2000
For full text see…. http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Final Parade for Dili Killers 31/03/00 (The Australian) KUPANG - Even in a military known for disregarding civil rights, Korem 164 is a notorious unit. Its men will be remembered either for standing by and watching the rape of East Timor or joining in the final rampage of arson, lootings and murder.
2) Wahid vows to act against militia in West Timor 31/03/00 (AFP) JAKARTA - Indonesian President Abdurrahman Wahid on Thursday pledged to act against Timor militia activists, who have been the main obstacle to the repatriation of some 100,000 refugees to East Timor, a UN official said here.
3) Indonesia to continue refugee support 31/03/00 (AAP) ADELAIDE - Indonesia would continue aid to refugees remaining in West Timor beyond tomorrow's deadline, Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer said today.
4) East Timor refugees to be resettled in provinces 31/03/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) JAKARTA - Indonesia is arranging to resettle more than 100,000 East Timorese refugees living in squalid camps in West Timor to the nation's under-populated provinces.
5) Timorese Angered over UN jobs deal 31/03/00 (The Age) DILI - Riot police and UN peacekeepers held back a mob of more than 800 angry East Timorese protesters outside the UN headquarters in Dili yesterday. Many in the crowd had shown up for promised job interviews but the UN had earlier cancelled them without informing the applicants.
6) The Tentacles of the Suharto Oligarchy 31/03/00 (George Aditjondro) Exposing the various means employed to accumulate the illgotten wealth domestically may also uncover the tremendous challenges faced by any regime in Jakarta which dreams to appropriate that wealth.
7) Timor Aid volunteers needed! Volunteers Carpenters to work in East Timor - urgent. Contact Regiane Almeida for more information at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org