TIMOR TODAY 03 APRIL 2000
TIMOR TODAY 03 APRIL 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Indonesian general sued for East Timor rights violations 03/04/00 (AustralAsian) NEW YORK - An Indonesian general is being sued in the United States for his alleged role in the recent orgy of violence and devastating human rights abuses in East Timor after the announcement of the UN-sponsored referendum ballot results.
2) Indon Govt plays down lawsuit against Gen. Lumintang 03/04/00 (Jakarta Post) JAKARTA - Minister of Foreign Affairs Alwi Shihab played down on Saturday a lawsuit filed by two U.S. human rights groups against an Indonesian Army general, saying it was an ordinary case in the United States.
3) East Timor braces for turmoil 03/04/00 (AP) DILI, East Timor - East Timor may be heading for renewed political turmoil as its former independence movement - now relieved of the common enemy that once united it - begins to crumble, party leaders warn.
4) East Timor's Gusmao opposes sanctions on Indonesia 03/04/00 (Reuters) BRASILIA - East Timorese independence leader Xanana Gusmao, raising funds in Brazil to help reconstruct his war-ravaged country, said on Friday that he did not favor international sanctions against former occupier Indonesia.
5) Indonesia hands over East Timorese refugees to UNHCR 03/04/00 (Jakarta Post) JAKARTA - Indonesia handed over responsibility for some 140,000 East Timorese refugees in the western half of Timor island to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on Friday, saying that the cost of caring for them has become too expensive.
6) Indonesia, UN, Timor leaders meet over border incursions 03/04/00 (Bali Post) Kupang - The Indonesian government has strongly denied accusations by the UN that Indonesian Armed Forces and Indonesian Police personnel had supported incursions by militia members across the East Timor -West Timor border.
7) Former Australian PM appeased Indon brutality 03/04/00 (AFP) CANBERRA - East Timorese leader Jose Ramos-Horta accused former Australian prime minister Paul Keating Sunday of appeasing Indonesia during its brutal occupation of East Timor.
8) Keating should walk naked in the street says Ramos-Horta 03/04/00 (AAP) CANBERRA - Paul Keating was a politically dead former prime minister trying to maintain relevance and "would be better off walking naked down the street".
9) Timor Aid volunteers needed! Volunteers Carpenters to work in East Timor - urgent. Contact Regiane Almeida for more information at: firstname.lastname@example.org
10) Press Breifing 31 March 2000 03/04/00 (United Nations) The following is a near-verbatim transcript of today's noon briefing by Fred Eckhard, Spokesman for the Secretary-General.
11) IOM: Timor Activity Update: 31 Mar 2000 03/04/00 (IOM) DILI - There is a continuing need to return displaced people in West Timor to their communities of origin in East Timor, in order for rehabilitation, reconstruction and development to begin.
12) UNTAET Humanitarian Pillar Situation Report 30 - 31 Mar 2000 03/04/00 (UNTAET)
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org