TIMOR TODAY 06 APRIL 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) General Wiranto may escape punishment 06/04/00 (AP) JAKARTA - Though he was implicated as ultimately responsible for the violence in East Timor last year, former military chief Gen. Wiranto may escape punishment on a legal technicality, a senior official said Wednesday.
2) Indonesia calls on UN to protect pro-integration Timorese 06/04/00 (AFP) JAKARTA - Indonesia has called on the United Nations and East Timor's independence council to guarantee the security of pro-Indonesian refugees who want to return home, a lawyer said Wednesday.
3) Don't waste energy on battling UN, says Cosgrove 06/03/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) He said he had never worked with the UN before. "I now wish abjectly to request forgiveness from my own defence bureaucracy, now to be regarded as shark-like in its efficiency
4) Portuguese aid chief blasts UN on slow response to needs 06/04/00 (Lusa) Viana do Castelo, Portugal, April 4 (Lusa)- The head of Portugal’s aid program for East Timor has lambasted the United Nations for what he described as its snail-paced response to the territory’s security and reconstruction needs.
5) NGOs and Falintil take part in meeting of consultative council 06/04/00 (Lusa) DILI - East Timor’s Consultative Council met Tuesday for the first time in nearly three weeks, with members of Falintil and representatives of non-governmental organizations participating for the first time.
6) Indonesia asks help to solve Timor refugee problem 06/04/00 (Xinhua News Agency) JAKARTA - The Indonesian government has asked the international community to solve the problem of tens of thousands of East Timorese refugees now still staying in the Indonesian province of West Timor, Antara news agency reported Wednesday.
7) Indonesia's Gen. Lumintang labels US rights group's lawsuit 'strange' 06/04/00 (AFP) JAKARTA - An Indonesian general named in a lawsuit filed by US human rights groups on behalf of East Timorese victims, has labelled the move "strange," but said he was prepared to face it, a report said Wednesday.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also
unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a
BLANK email to: email@example.com