World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Minister Visits Brisbane Troops Prior Deployment

Minister Visits Brisbane Troops Prior Deployment

MEDIA RELEASE

THE HON. JOHN MOORE, MP Minister for Defence Friday, 7th April 2000 MIN072/00

Minister Visits Brisbane Troops Prior to East Timor Deployment

The Minister for Defence, John Moore, today visited Gallipoli Barracks at Enoggera in Brisbane, to meet with members of the 6th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (6RAR) Battalion Group.

6RAR is scheduled to depart for peacekeeping operations in East Timor from Monday 10th April. They will replace the 5th/7th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment which currently is deployed in the western border areas of East Timor and are expected to serve with the United Nations' UNTAET mission until October this year.

"The 6th Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment has a proud history and will continue the exemplary work of Australians serving in East Timor," Mr Moore said.

6RAR is one of two additional Army battalions raised as a result of the Federal Government's decision last year to increase Australian Defence Force readiness. Formerly an integrated Regular/Reserve battalion, it was brought to full Regular status.

"It is important for us all to remember that while the INTERFET mission commanded by Major General Peter Cosgrove has been successfully completed, Australia plays a significant, ongoing role in the East Timor peace process.

"Under the United Nations' UNTAET arrangements, Australia remains the biggest contributor of personnel to the peacekeeping mission."

Australia's support for UNTAET includes two RAN landing craft, 400 logistics support personnel through to the end of June, 17 UN military observers, and four Blackhawk helicopters with crew and support staff.

"More than 9,000 Australians served in East Timor in the first phase of the UN mandate, and while the numbers have dropped to under 2,000 ADF personnel, the ongoing importance of their mission cannot be overstated.

"The situation in East Timor has improved markedly, however there always are inherent risks in this sort of operation. It is difficult and potentially dangerous work and we wish 6RAR well for their mission.

"The Federal Government also extends its thanks to the families of all our personnel who are serving in East Timor. We are grateful for the support and commitment they show our troops and our nation," said Mr Moore.

Phone: 61 (02) 62777800 Fax: 62734118 Media Inquiries: 0419 982482 Email: J.Moore.MP@aph.gov.au Website: www.defence.gov.au


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news