TIMOR TODAY 14 APRIL 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) The New Timor Gap - Will Australia now break with the past? 14/04/00 (Inside Indonesia) In November 1991 our medium-sized oil exploration company was awarded a slice of acreage in the Timor Gap, becoming a joint venture partner in ZOCA-13. In the same month the Australian media was saturated with news on the massacre of unarmed civilians in a Dili graveyard.
2) Timorese leader wants trials in accordance with international law 14/04/00 (RTP Internacional TV) Lisbon - Jose Ramos Horta will demand that Indonesia tries those responsible for the crimes in East Timor and that it tries them in keeping with international law.
3) Maritime security not its mandate, UN peacekeepers say 14/04/00 (Lusa) Dili - The UN peacekeeping force in East Timor Wednesday sidelined Portuguese criticism over the force’s lack of a naval component, saying such was not part of its Security Council mandate.
4) UNHCR urges Indonesia to separate refugees from non-refugees 14/04/00 (UNHCR) UNHCR met on Monday in Kupang with the Indonesian commander in West Timor, Gen. Kiki Shynakri, and reiterated UNHCR's request for the separation of East Timorese enlisted in the Indonesian Army, or TNI, police and former militia members from refugees.
5) Cosgrove favors truth commission for East Timor 14/04/00 (The Age) NEW YORK - The former commander of the International Force in East Timor, Major-General Peter Cosgrove, has said that a truth and reconciliation commission could be a "pathway to the future" for the territory's people.
6) Rebuilding East Timor 14/04/00 (Asian Wall Street Journal) Apart from such physical destruction, East Timor is a shattered land in even more profound social ways. The militias' rampage displaced hundreds of thousands of Timorese from their homes, most of whom either fled to the mountains or to West Timor. The trauma of such an experience brings with it enormous challenges for the Timorese in reconciling their divided society.
7) Stiglitz's new critique of IMF 14/04/00 (By JOSEPH STIGLITZ) I was chief economist at the World Bank from 1996 until last November, during the gravest global economic crisis in a half-century. I saw how the IMF, in tandem with the U.S. Treasury Department, responded. And I was appalled.
8) Australian Activists Fined 14/04/00 (The Canberra Times) Despite the " admirable commitment" of four East Timor independence activists to a " compelling cause" , their actions during a protest at Parliament House were illegal, Magistrate Karen Fryar said yesterday.
9) UNTAET Humanitarian Pillar Situation Report 11 - 12 Apr 2000 14/04/00 (UNTAET) DILI - General: The Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Humanitarian Assistance and Emergency Rehabilitation, Mr. Akira Takahashi, traveled to Ermera District yesterday, 11 April, to assess the current status of humanitarian operations.
10) Australian services unite to honour Timorese 14/04/99 (Australian National Command Element) Two generations of Australian military personnel will unite tomorrow to honour the bravery and friendship of the people of East Timor. In a ceremony to reopen the refurbished Fatunaba Memorial Pool, five members of the 2nd/2nd Independent Company who fought in East Timor in 1942 will stand beside Australian Peace Keepers to rededicate this significant symbol of friendship between the two nations.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org