TIMOR TODAY 17 MAY 2000
TIMOR TODAY 17 MAY 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) General Wiranto grilled for 7 hours 17/05/00 (Jakarta Post) JAKARTA - Former Indonesian Military chief Gen. (ret) Wiranto said he was relieved to "spell out the truth" of last year's violence in East Timor while being interrogated on Tuesday by a special Attorney General's Office investigative team.
2) Wiranto to resign from Wahid's cabinet 17/05/00 (Kyodo News) JAKARTA - Former Indonesian military chief Gen. Wiranto announced Tuesday he would resign from his post as cabinet minister after he was questioned by Indonesian prosecutors about his role in the violence in East Timor last year.
3) Ties with Indonesian military prevented bloodshed: Cosgrove 17/05/00 (Canberra Times) BRISBANE - The next Chief of the Army, Major-General Peter Cosgrove, defended Australia's former military ties with the Indonesian armed forces yesterday, saying personal connections had helped avoid bloodshed during the East Timor operation.
4) West Oil hopeful on Timor Sea Puffin oil prospect. 17/05/00 (Reuters) MELBOURNE - Australian petroleum explorer West Oil NL said on Tuesday it hoped this week's start to test drilling of the Puffin prospect in the Timor Sea would help confirm recoverable reserves of 75 million barrels.
5) UNTAET weighing search and rescue accord with Indonesia 17/05/00 (Lusa) DILI - The UN is studying a draft accord with Indonesia on the subject of search and rescue missions, following an incident in which an East Timorese vessel was blown off course to the Indonesian island of Wetar.
6) Fretilin opens conference 17/05/00 (ydney Morning Herald) DILI - One of East Timor 's biggest and best known political groups began an historic conference to discuss its transformation from revolutionary front to mainstream political party.
7) Retratu Timor Lorosae photographic exhibition 16/05/00 (Timor Aid) DARWIN - Cripple hands hold babies, which the militia failed to crush, while wriggling boys play on the Suai Loro shoreline. These images, from Timor Lorosae, explore a new country, in a new millennium, ravaged and torn ... hungry and happy with new found freedom ... a freedom without work opportunity or indeed the shelter to protect a family from a rainy season.
8) UNTAET Humanitarian Pillar Situation Report 13 -16 May 2000 17/05/00 (UNTAET) DILI – Returns, Infrastructure, Food, Shelter, Health, Family links.
9) IOM Timor Activity Update 17/05/00 (IOM) DILI - Over the past four days, IOM has helped a total of 226 displaced East Timorese to return home. Today, Tuesday 16 May, 112 returned across the Batugade border from the West Timor town of Atambua...
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com