TIMOR TODAY 24 MAY 2000
TIMOR TODAY 24 MAY 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Ramos-Horta - Remove district administrators by August 24/05/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) NEW YORK - The East Timorese leadership has demanded the United Nations remove all its district administrators by August and replace them with local leaders, in the first significant step towards achieving full control of the territory.
2) Indonesian, UNTAET officials to meet in Central Java 24/05/00 (UNTAET) JAKARTA - Representatives of the Indonesian government and the UN Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET) will hold a two-day meeting in Central Java this week to discuss outstanding issues between the two.
3) East Timor 's U.N. administrator leaves for Fiji 24/05/00 (AP) DILI - East Timor 's U.N. administrator left for Fiji on Tuesday in a bid to defuse the hostage crisis caused by an armed uprising against the democratically elected government.
4) Wiranto praises Indonesia role in East Timor mayhem 24/05/00 (Reuters) JAKARTA - Indonesia's former military chief Wiranto on Tuesday praised his forces handling of the chaos in East Timor after last year's independence ballot even though the territory was left in ruins and most of its population displaced.
5) Filipino troops be redeployed against seperatists in Mindanau 24/05/00 (AP) MANILA - The Philippine military will redeploy some of its soldiers assigned to peacekeeping duties in East Timor to the southern Philippines, where government forces have fought battles against Muslim separatist rebels, officials said Tuesday.
6) East Timorese asking to be returned home 24/05/00 (Dow Jones Newswires) DILI - Some of the East Timorese refugees who have been living in exile in Indonesian-held West Timor for the past eight months are asking to be returned to their homeland, a U.N. spokesman said Monday.
7) Cosgrove to thank Thailand for Timor efforts 24/05/00 (Australian Broadcasting Corp.) BANGKOK - Australia's newly appointed Army Chief, Major General Peter Cosgrove, has arrived in Bangkok for a three-day visit.
8) Humanitarian Pillar Situation Report 20 - 23 May 2000 24/05/00 (UNTAET) DILI - Floods: Over the past few days, UN agencies and NGOs in East Timor have continued to assist their colleagues in West Timor with on going relief efforts in the most affected areas of Malaka Tengah and Malaka Barat. The total number of confirmed deaths now stands at 126 persons.
9) Latest on the Timor floods 24/05/00 (IOM) DILI - IOM teams working around the clock the past six days have evacuated over 5,000 people from areas affected by deadly flooding around Betun near the West Timor border.
---------------------------------------- Timor Today Funding! We are looking for new funding for 'Timor Today', since our original grant has reached its end.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com