TIMOR TODAY 31 MAY 2000
--- Sponsor's Message
FREE LONG DISTANCE! With FreeWay, long distance calls are ZERO cents per minute, anytime, anywhere. No bills, no need to change carriers. Enjoy top quality long distance from any home, office or pay phone. Click here to find out how. http://click.topica.com/aaaajZausWsNauubHDa/Broadpointcom
TIMOR TODAY 31 MAY 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Jakarta police reluctant to act over militia attack on Solidamor 31/05/00 (TAPOL) JAKARTA - As a result of his injuries, Coki Naipospos went to St Carolus Hospital for a medical report on his condition. Along with colleagues from PBHI, he took this report to the police but they refused to accept it because it was from a private hospital and told him to get a report from Cipto Mangungkusumo Hospital (RSCM).
2) UN, Jakarta put heads together on pursuing justice 31/05/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) JAKARTA - The United Nations chief in East Timor, Mr Sergio Vieira de Mello, has sought the co-operation of Indonesia's judiciary for investigations into crimes committed by pro-Jakarta militia and their army backers after last year's bloody vote for independence.
3) Indonesia and Timor discuss issues 31/05/00 (Jakarta Post) JAKARTA (JP): Minister of Foreign Affairs Alwi Shihab met on Tuesday with the United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET) head Sergio Vieiera de Mello to discuss remaining issues concerning the former Indonesian province.
4) Xanana Gusmao in Brunei 31/05/00 (Borneo Bulletin) BRUNEI - Visiting East Timorese leader Xanana Gusmao yesterday expressed his gratitude to Brunei Darussalam for its speedy role in helping his embattled land regain stability, especially for Brunei's participation in the Interfet mission.
5) Australian soldier wounded in border post grenade attack 30/05/00 (RDP Antena 1) DILI - [Presenter] There have been clashes at a border between East and West Timor. A grenade was thrown at a UN post. There was an exchange of fire in another incident.
6) First Dili trial over violence to start in June 30/05/00 (Kyodo News) DILI - A Dili court will likely start in mid-June the trial of five pro-Jakarta militiamen charged with killing nine people last September in a rampage of violence that began after East Timor voted for independence from Indonesia, court sources said Monday.
7) Gusmao thanks Gurkhas in Brunei 30/05/00 (Borneo Bulletin) BRUNEI - Visiting East Timorese leader Xanana Gusmao who arrived in Brunei yesterday on a two day goodwill visit toured the 'A' Company of the Royal Gurkha Rifles in Tutong and thanked them personally for their tour of duty in his country.
8) Refugees battle West Timor locals 31/05/00 (UNHCR) TIMOR - East Timorese refugees and local residents in the Tuapukan area of West Timor have been battling with sticks, stones and knives over the past three days, preventing UNHCR staff from operating in the camp just outside Kupang.
9) World Bank procurement for local governance 05/30/2000 (Asia Pulse) The Project Management Unit will oversee all aspects of the Community Empowerment and Local Governance Project.
10) UNTAET Humanitarian Pillar Situation Report 27 - 30 May 2000 31/05/00 (UNTAET) DILI - Returns: The total number of organised and spontaneous returns into East Timor from West Timor, other parts of Indonesia, Macau and Australia now stands at over 162,062 returns.
11) Fifth committee takes up financing for missions 31/05/00 (UN) The Secretary-General is seeking $461.4 million for the financing of the United Nations Interim Administration in Kosovo (UNMIK) for 1 July 2000 to 30 June 2001, the United Nations Controller, Jean-Pierre Halbwachs, told the Fifth Committee (Administrative and Budgetary) this morning, as it commenced its consideration of the financing of that mission.
---------------------------------------- Timor Today Funding! We are looking for new funding for 'Timor Today', since our original grant has reached its end.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org