World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Fiji TV's licence threatened over crisis

See previous PMW item: http://www.journalism.uts.edu.au/archive/fiji_coup/0529policemandies.html

Pacific Journalism Online hosted at UTS: http://www.journalism.uts.edu.au/ Wansolwara Online (June edition): http://www.lookinglassdesign.com/wansolwara/wansol.html Have your say: http://www.TheGuestBook.com/vgbook/109497.gbook

SUVA (PMW): Fiji's telecommunications authorities under martial law have threatened Fiji Television Ltd with revoking its operating licence over a current affairs programme about the political crisis which led to an attack on the station, according to news media reports.

Fiji Television reported the threat on its Fiji One News bulletin on the evening of 10 June 2000 along with a strong defence of the station and its programme policy by chief executive Ken Clark.

Fiji's Sunday Post also reported the threat next morning, saying the station had been "blamed for causing civil disturbance in Suva two weeks ago".

The interim military government's telecommunications director Josua Turaganivalu told the Sunday Post the television station's licence could be revoked because of the Close Up programme broadcast on May 28.

Fiji Television has been blamed for the riot that evening in which the station's premises were raided and trashed, broadcast transmission was cut for almost 48 hours, and a policeman was shot who died several hours later.

The television signals were cut during a legal drama series, "The Practice", and equipment was seriously damaged.

Chaired by Fiji Television reporter Riyaz Sayed-Khaiyum, the panellists, political commentator Jone Dakuvula, an indigenous supporter of the 1997 democratic constitution, and Communications Fiji Ltd managing director William Parkinson, were critical of the rebels led by failed businessman George Speight and their three-week-old insurrection.

A mob of between 80 and 200 men, some of them armed, left Parliament shortly after the programme was broadcast, firing shots in the streets, and attacked the Fiji Television offices.

Chief executive Clark was reported by the Sunday Post to have said the Ministry of Communication had made a "wide leap between the television programme and the riot".

He said on television that he was disappointed with the ministry's position that the television programme had "caused" the disturbance.

The Close Up programme on the media coverage was appropriate in the circumstances, he added.

Media industry sources described the programme as balanced and fair, adding that it was "absurd" to blame television for the criminal acts of a "mob of thugs".

Turaganivalu said the ministry wrote to the station a week ago to ask for an explanation why the station had braodcast the programme.

He said Fiji TV had been given until Friday this week to reply but was surprised that the station's chief executive had gone public over the issue.

"We had expected them to write back to us. But [Clark] decided to let the public know about their side of the story first instead of us," he said.

Turaganivalu claimed that the contents of the Close Up item had "clearly breached" a clause prohibiting "such programmes", reported the Sunday Post.

"We are still waiting for them to reply, but that programme was a clear breach of the rules and that basically means that the licence can be revoked," he said.

* Full transcript of the controversial Close Up programme on Fiji Television: http://www.journalism.uts.edu.au/archive/fiji_coup/0529FijiTVDestroyed.htm l

+++niuswire

WATCH FOR PMW'S NEW WEB SITE LAUNCH: http://www.pmw.c20.org

PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH is an independent, non-profit, non-government organisation comprising journalists, lawyers, editors and other media workers, dedicated to examining issues of ethics, accountability, censorship, media freedom and media ownership in the Pacific region. Launched in October 1996, it has links with the Journalism Program at the University of the South Pacific, Bushfire Media, the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism, and Pactok Communications, in Sydney and Port Moresby.

(c)1996-2000 Copyright - All rights reserved.

Items are provided solely for review purposes as a non-profit educational service. Copyright remains the property of the original producers as indicated. Recipients should seek permission from the copyright owner for any publishing. Copyright owners not wishing their materials to be posted by PMW please contact us. The views expressed in material listed by PMW are not necessarily the views of PMW or its members.

Recipients should rely on their own inquiries before making decisions based on material listed in PMW. Please copy appeals to PMW and acknowledge source.

For further information, inquiries about joining the Pacific Media Watch

listserve, articles for publication, and giving feedback contact Pacific

Media Watch at: E-mail: niusedita@pactok.net.au or: bfmedia@mpx.com.au Fax: (+679) 30 5779 or (+612) 9660 1804 Mail: PO Box 9, Annandale, NSW 2038, Australia or, c/o Journalism, PO Box 1168, Suva, Fiji Website: http://www.pactok.net/docs/pmw/ New website: http://www.pmw.c20.org


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news