TIMOR TODAY 23 JUNE 2000
--- Sponsor's Message
HEY... you wanna jazz up your INBOX? Click now for fresh, award-winning and ORIGINAL e-newsletters. Freebies, HUMOR, advice, REVIEWS, money, sex and POWER. Yup, we got that... CoolEzines.com CoolEzines.com
TIMOR TODAY 23 JUNE 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) UN appeals for $16 million for East Timor's budget 23/06/00 (Associated Press) LISBON - The U.N.'s administrator in East Timor asked the international community Wednesday to donate an additional $16 million to meet budget demands for the fledgling nation.
2) Donor confidence in East Timor fundamental, Xanana Gusmao 23/06/00 (AFP) LISBON - Timorese resistance movement president, Xanana Gusmao, said he hoped donor countries would renew their vote of confidence in East Timor, at a meeting which began here Wednesday.
3) Rolling stoppages hit public transport system 23/06/00 (Green Left Weekly) DILI -- This city has been rocked by snap public transport stoppages since June 2 in response to a rise in the price of fuel.
4) East Timor 's former guerrillas could revolt 23/06/00 (AP) LISBON - East Timor 's independence leader Jose Alexandre Gusmao said Thursday the guerrillas he once led against Indonesian troops are living in squalid conditions and could revolt.
5) Portugal says date for independence should be set 23/06/00 (RDP Antena Radio) LISBON - Portuguese Foreign Minister Jaime Gama has advocated that Timor should set a date for independence. Speaking before the opening of a donors' conference being held today and tomorrow at the Belem Cultural Centre in Lisbon, Jaime Gama suggested a date for independence should be set.
6) Foreigner held in Dili -- first since UN vote 23/06/00 (Straits Times) SYDNEY -- A Sydney man has been accused of drug dealing in Dili -- the first foreigner arrested in East Timor since the former Indonesian colony voted for independence in August last year.
7) Bosnians assure Timorese life will improve 23/06/00 (Washington Post) DILI - “ When it comes to dealing with the growing number of East Timorese who have become impatient with the pace of reconstruction here, all it takes is a few words from police officer Nikica Tomic to quell the crowd. "I am from Bosnia-Herzegovina," he says.
8) Letter - Release classified information 23/06/00 (Green Left Weekly) We, the undersigned, ask the Australian government to release into the public domain all information it has relating to crimes against humanity committed by the Indonesian military in East Timor.
9) Local competition for market renovation contracts 23/06/00 (UNTAET) DILI - The rehabilitation of the Becora and Comoro markets will start by the first week of July. Fifteen local companies are competing for the six contracts presently out for tender. The tender process will end next week and the selection of the successful contractors is expected to take another week.
10) International NGO statement to Lisbon Donor's meet 23/06/00 (ETAN) International NGOs are in a unique position to play a role in the development in East Timor. Our vision is for the people of East Timor to direct their own development. International NGOs wish to endorse the East Timorese NGO statement being made at Lisbon.
11) Donors Meeting: De Mello’s opening statement 23/06/00 (World Bank) In my presentation today, I will try and answer the following questions: What has been achieved? What problems have been encountered since we last met in Tokyo? Where are we going with the transition process in the next 6-12 months? and, how do we get there?
Timor Today Funding! https://timoraid.securewebsites.com/etisc_donation_page/donate.htm In order to keep this highly successful service going until we find a new grant, we appeal to all readers to contribute by making a donation.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
Unsubscribe You can also
unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a
BLANK email to: