World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Former Attorney-Generals Defend Accused Rebels

USP Pacific Journalism Online: http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/ USP Journalism on the Fiji crisis (UTS host): http://www.journalism.uts.edu.au/ USP Pasifik Nius stories on Scoop (NZ): http://www.scoop.co.nz/international.htm Have your say: http://www.TheGuestBook.com/vgbook/109497.gbook

SUVA: A pastor, members of chiefly families, youths, 59 women and more than 300 men are among the 415 supporters of rebel leader George Speight who appeared in court yesterday or are expected to appear over the next few days, reports the Fiji Sun.

Two former attorney-generals, Apaitia Seru and Kelemeda Bulewa, are among the lawyers representing the accused.

Government Buildings, especially around the courthouse, were yesterday cordoned off from the public by tight police and military security as the first 40 supporters were brought from Nasese Police Academy.

Hundreds of family members gathered around the back of the courthouse to witness their sons, brothers and fathers being herded into the cell block from buses.

Their names were being called out as they stepped out of the bus with whatever belongings they had in plastic bags, knapsacks and mattresses.

The men were put into groups of 10 or so men as they were all charged with unlawful assembly with a view to disturbing the peace and causing instability if the new cabinet line-up did not go their way.

They appeared before Chief Magistrate Salesi Temo and Magistrate Aminiasi Katonivualiku in the Suva Magistrates' Courts.

All pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail, the Fiji Sun said.

The bail depended on which magistrate they went to. In magistrate Temo's courtroom, they were granted $50 bail while magistrate Katonivualiku granted $100 bail.

The bail terms included appearing at the nearest police station three times a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

All were released on bail yesterday except for one who was charged with unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

Defence lawyer Bulewa challenged the charges, stating that they should be discharged under the immunity decree, which covers any criminal offences that fell between May 19 and July 13.

In other developments:

* The military said Speight and nine other rebels held on Nukulau Island, off Suva, were not likely to be released this week, according to the Fiji Times.

Police were still investigating and until inquiries were incomplete it was not known what charges the rebels would face.

* Nationalist rebel Iliesa Duvuloco is on the run from the military since the arrest of Speight and his men last week, the Fiji Times reports.

Duvuloco, a staunch supporter of Speight during the takeover of Parliament, has been missing from his Suva home and the military have issued mugshots of him at checkpoints.

* The Sukunaivalu Barracks in Labasa are back in military hands for the first time since rebels seized control earlier this month, the Daily Post reports.

The rebels, led by a former assistant information minister in the Sitiveni Rabuka government, Ratu Josefa Dimuri, had taken over the barracks in support of Speight.

* Some 14 Indo-Fijian families living in Dreketi, the rice bed of Fiji, on the second main island of Vanua Levu have been held captive by rebels, according to the Daily Post.

The newspaper reported that the rebels were holding about 150 people hostage.

A former resident was quoted as saying that Indo-Fijian homes were looted and people had been physically abused by the rebels.

"Some of the families have lost their vehicles at gunpoint to the rebels. They have taken guns that some farmers owned. Some of us have nothing much left to eat as all our vegetables were stolen and farms damaged," he told the paper.

+++niuswire

This document is for educational and research use only. Recipients should seek permission from the copyright source before reprinting. PASIFIK NIUS service is provided by the niusedita via the Journalism Program, University of the South Pacific. Please acknowledge Pasifik Nius: niusedita@pactok.net.au http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/nius/index.html


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news