World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


FIJI: Speight and rebels claim military brutality

USP Pacific Journalism Online: http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/
USP Journalism on the Fiji crisis (UTS host): http://www.journalism.uts.edu.au/

USP Pasifik Nius stories on Scoop (NZ): http://www.scoop.co.nz/international.htm Have your say: http://www.TheGuestBook.com/vgbook/109497.gbook

SUVA: Rebel leader George Speight and his ringleaders claimed military brutality in a front-page report in Fiji's Daily Post today, but the newspaper said the "lawless bunch of hooligans" must answer for a larger abuse of rights.

Speight said in the Daily Post story that he had difficulties breathing, eating and drinking because of injuries suffered during his arrest last week and transportation to Nukulau Island "prison".

Ringleaders - including former military major Ilisoni Ligairi; media adviser Jo Nata; former Fiji Intelligence Service chief Metuisela Mua; deposed MP Ratu Timoci Silatolu and lawyer Tevita Bukurau - also claimed they had suffered injuries as a result of army brutality when they were arrested.

"Speight claims that he, at one stage, thought he would die as he was punched, kicked and assaulted with rifle butts," the Daily Post said.

"In a letter to his lawyers, he said he was first assaulted after he stepped onto the gangway of the naval ship that transported him and his supporters to Nukulau."

The paper quoted Speight's letter as saying: "As I stepped onto the gangplank [sic], I received a severe blow to the back with a sharp metal/wood object which I guessed was the butt of a weapon.

"At the same time, the soldiers were abusing me verbally in Fijian."

Speight described the abuse, both physical and verbal, as unwarranted.

"Four armed men were involved in carrying out the physical abuse with one, a Lauan, who was particularly vocal and physically abusive," he said in his letter.

"The abuse including slapping, punching, kicking and the use of rifle butts to the head, face, neck, back, chest and stomach.

"The abuse began immediately after departure and continued until we got to Nukulau."

He said the officer leading the assault and abuse "went through us one by one many times".

Ligairi, a former British SAS officer and founder of the elite First Meridian Squadron, claimed to have been manhandled by the officer who led the charge on Kalabu Fijian School last Thursday.

"Two soldiers grabbed me and ordered me to kneel with their weapons pointed at me," he said of the incident at Kalabu.

Ligairi was ordered to lie on the ground face down while his hands were strapped while the soldiers kicked and stomped on him.

Nata, Mua, Bukurau, Silatolu and former major Jo Savua have also filed similar assault claims.

The Daily Post showed no sympathy in an editorial headlined "Dear George and Company", saying "we read with interest and utter amusement your version of how you and your group were treated after the military arrested you last week...

"That you took offence and are complaining about the abuses is your right. And your right is respected...

"But remember George, that for every right that you will fight for - and that also goes for the collective rights of your lawless band of hooligans, there is a much larger abuse of rights that you must answer to,

"These rights were taken away from about 750,000 people when you and your triggerhappy boys stormed Parliament, ousting the democratically elected government and inciting a spate of violence, lawlessness and political anarchy that has driven many people into the depths of despair."

+++niuswire

This document is for educational and research use only. Recipients should seek permission from the copyright source before reprinting. PASIFIK NIUS service is provided by the niusedita via the Journalism Program, University of the South Pacific. Please acknowledge Pasifik Nius: niusedita@pactok.net.au http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/nius/index.html


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news