TIMOR TODAY 21 AUGUST 2000
TIMOR TODAY 21 AUGUST 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Border duty for small FALINTIL force. 21/08/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) AILEU - Fighters from the former guerilla resistance force Falintil, in their first move out of forced cantonment since the United Nations entered East Timor, will join UN peacekeepers in hunting down pro-Indonesian militia launching cross-border raids.
2) Falintil guerrilla army marks 25th anniversary 21/08/00 (Kyodo News Service) AILEU - Timorese leader Xanana Gusmao on Sunday turned over his post as commander in chief of the National Liberation Armed Forces of East Timor (Falintil) to his deputy, Taur Matan Ruak, at a ceremony marking the 25th anniversary of the founding of the guerrilla army.
3) Kostrad warns militias in West Timor 21/08/00 (Indonesian Observer) JAKARTA - The Army’s Strategic Reserve Command (Kostrad) has threatened to get tough on a pro-Jakarta militia gang that has been holding up and stealing from vehicles in West Timor near the border area.
4) De Mello says U.N. can deal with militia 21/08/00 (UNTAET) DILI - The head of the U.N. Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET) said Saturday the U.N. has the mandate and the means to deal with pro-Indonesian militia who have crossed the border into East Timor.
5) Fleeing villagers lose faith in UN forces 21/08/00 (South China Morning Post) AINARO - Villagers living in East Timor's mountainous central southwest region have fled to the forest in fear for their lives. Others have formed vigilante groups to defend themselves against militia attack, no longer trusting that the UN peacekeeping force is able to guarantee their safety.
6) Australian and Portuguese troops 'target of E Timor militias' 21/08/00 (South China Morning Post) DILI - (18/08) A former intelligence officer with the pro-Indonesia militia claims he has evidence Australian and Portuguese soldiers will be targeted by armed groups in East Timor next month.
7) Canberra pushing for Timor justice in Jakarta 21/08/00 (The Age) CANBERRA - The Federal Government will push for members of the Indonesian military responsible for crimes in East Timor to be brought to trial, even though the Indonesian Parliament last week wanted to pardon them.
8) Japanese cameras to capture children's experience 21/08/00 (Kyodo) DILI -- Standing near a row of charred houses torched by marauding militias last year, the eyes of 13-year-old Faustino de Dios twinkled with glee as he examined a rarity in his devastated homeland of East Timor: a disposable Japanese camera.
9) Retroactivity amendment regressive for human rights 21/08/00 (AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL) The new constitutional amendment on retroactivity does not absolve the authorities of bringing to justice those responsible for past human rights violations which constitute crimes under national and international law, Amnesty International said today.
10) Xanana's speech on Falintil 25th anniversary 21/08/00 (CNRT) Speech Delivered On 20th August 2000 25th Anniversary Of FALINTIL, Aileu by Kay Rala Xanana Gusmão CNRT PresidentFalintil:
11) Speech by Taur Matan Ruak, Commander 21/08/00 (FALINTIL) Speech delivered by Taur Matan Ruak, Commander of the National Liberation Armed Forces of East Timor (FALINTIL)
12) Alwi Shihab remarks on West Timor refugees 21/08/00 (Indonesian Government) Remarks by H.E. Dr. Alwi Shihab minister for foreign affairs of the Republic of Indonesia on the question of East Timorese refugees in West Timor
---------------------------------------- Timor Today Funding! https://timoraid.securewebsites.com/etisc_donation_page/donate.htm In order to keep this highly successful service going until we find a new grant, we appeal to all readers to contribute by making a donation.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
--- Sponsor's Message --------------------------------------
STEALS AND DEALS! Cheapest prices on airfare, insurance, new cars, contractors, insurance, maids, collectibles, more. Get exactly what you want at the lowest price. New FREE service! http://click.topica.com/aaaawmausWsNauubHDc/Imandi_com