TIMOR TODAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2000
TIMOR TODAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2000
For full text see.. http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Indonesia resists US pressure on militias 19/09/00 (The Age) JAKARTA - Indonesia yesterday reacted defiantly to a demand by visiting US Defence Secretary William Cohen to disband militias in West Timor, accusing the US of being partly to blame for militia violence.
2) Top Timor analysts named in leaked papers warrant 19/09/00 (Sydney Morning Herald) SYDNEY - Four key Australian government intelligence experts on East Timor were named in the warrant police used on Saturday to search a Federal Opposition staff member's home in an inquiry into official leaks that last year embarrassed the Howard Government.
3) Ramos overwhelmed in Olympic bout 19/09/00 (Agence France Presse) SYDNEY - East Timorese boxer Victor Ramos was dumped out of the Olympic boxing tournament in a flurry of punches here Sunday night.
4) General grilled over Timor, militia leader ignores summons 19/09/00 (AFP) JAKARTA - Indonesian prosecutors investigating last year's violence in East Timor interrogated the most senior general on their list of suspects for seven hours Monday, a spokesman said, while the first militia leader to be summonsed as a suspect failed to show.
5) Indon defense minister blames US on Militias 19/09/00 (Indoenesia Observer) JAKARTA - Defense Minister Mahfud MD said yesterday the United States was partly to blame for the violent pro-Jakarta East Timorese militias operating on the West Timor border, adding that disarming the militias in East Nusa Tenggara will need more time.
6) E.Timorese want return of Indon rule, says minister Mahfud 19/09/00 (Reuters) JAKARTA - East Timor's people, who voted overwhelmingly for independence last year, are now fed up with their conditions under U.N. control and want to return to Indonesian rule, the defence minister said.
7) Mahfud's view on Timor dismissed as `crazy' 19/09/00 (The Age) DILI - East Timorese have greeted with disbelief comments by Indonesian Defence Minister Mohamed Mahfud that most of the population of the soon- to- be- independent country want reintegration with Jakarta.
8) NGOs demand arms embargo in response to West Timor crisis 19/09/00 (Tapol & CAAT) LONDON - A Coalition of European NGOs today delivered a joint statement to the French Presidency of the EU calling for the immediate re-imposition of an EU ban on arms sales and all military co-operation with Indonesia.
Timor Today Funding! https://timoraid.securewebsites.com/etisc_donation_page/donate.htm In order to keep this highly successful service going until we find a new grant, we appeal to all readers to contribute by making a donation.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com