World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Colonel Lashes Out At New Zealand Minister

USP Pacific Journalism Online: http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/
USP Pasifik Nius: http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/nius/index.html
USP Pasifik Nius stories on Scoop (NZ):
http://www.scoop.co.nz/international.htm
Have your say: http://www.TheGuestBook.com/vgbook/109497.gbook

* See earlier reports online: http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/docs/news/nius3081shoot.html

Staff Reporters USP's Pacific Journalism Online

SUVA: Fiji's former military spokesman in the wake of the May coup, Lieutenant-Colonel Filipo Tarakinikini, has lashed out a New Zealand minister and hinted at leaving the military as a probe began into the causes of the mutiny.

Lieutenant-Colonel Tarakinikini said on Fiji Television last night that he would reconsider his military career in the wake of New Zealand Foreign Minister Phil Goff's comments implying that he was linked with last Thursday's failed takeover of the Fiji military headquarters which left eight soldiers dead.

One of the military's high flyers who was studying for an MBA and who earlier had a leadership role in the elite counter revolutionary warfare (CRW) unit which triggered the mutiny, Lieutenant-Colonel Tarakinikini has persistently been the target of rumours over the coup on May 19.

Goff was reported as saying that the rebel soldiers wanted to replace military commander Commodore Frank Bainimarama with the colonel.

"There is some suspicion that the person that rebel forces have been trying to replace Commodore Bainimarama with is Lieutenant-Colonel Filipo Tarakinikini," Goff said last Thursday in a news clip shown on Fiji Television last night.

"Lieutenant-Colonel Tarakinikini, as you'll know, was the spokesperson and the public relations person for the army after the coup."

However, Lieutenant-Colonel Tarakinikini said he was "disgusted and appalled" by the comments made by Goff.

He was quoted in today's Fiji Sun as saying he had been the subject of suspicion, accusation and malicious allegations even before the overthrow of the elected Fiji Labour Party-led coalition government on May 19.

"However, no evidence has ever been produced to prove these allegations, nor have I been investigated."

Lieutenant-Colonel Tarakinikini, who became a media celebrity during his role as spokesperson for the military in the wake of the coup led by failed businessman George Speight, said he had served his country to the best of his ability.

The Daily Post reported today that two wounded rebel members of the CRW unit, or First Meridian Squadron as it was recently renamed, were treated at the Namaka Health Centre in the west of the country.

The rebels were treated for their wounds and fled before the authorities were alerted.

Two more rebels have surrendered to the military in the rainforest area of Colo-i-Suva, about 10 km from Suva.

About 12 rebels, armed with M16 and K2 assault rifles, pistols and ammunition, still remain on the run.

Police have launched investigations into the mutiny at Queen Elizabeth Barracks with a team headed by Assistant Police Commissioner (Crime) Emosi Vunisa.

Vunisa said the investigation would be a combined operation between the military police and the Fiji police force.

"They will be assisting us in the investigations. It will be similar to investigations over suspects of the May 19 coup," he said.

Military authorities also confirmed post mortems on the three dead loyalist soldiers, five rebels and prison escapee Alifereti Nimacere, who was shot by the military on Friday night amid allegations of brutality by soldiers, would be held this week.

The three loyalist soldiers killed were all unarmed.

One was reportedly shot at point blank range, another through the window of his office as he sat at his computer and the third as he lay in bed in the camp hospital.

+++niuswire


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news