World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Scoop Images: NZ Weapon Returned In East Timor


The return, in East Timor, yesterday afternoon NZ time, by the Indonesian Army (TNI) of the weapon taken by militia following the death of Private Leonard Manning earlier this year.

New Zealand Defence Force
Te Ope Kaatua O Aotearoa

Media Release

November 8, 2000

NEW ZEALAND BATTALION WEAPON RETURNED IN EAST TIMOR

The C9 Light Support Weapon (a 5.56mm light machine gun), removed from the body of Kiwi peacekeeper Private Leonard Manning after his death in July this year, was returned to the New Zealand battalion in East Timor today.

The weapon had been seized by the Indonesian Army (TNI) following the detention of three suspected militia in Laktutus near the West Timor border on October 27. The United Nations Peace Keeping Force and the TNI have concluded their collective investigation into the origin of the weapon, which has resulted in the return of the weapon to the New Zealanders.

At a ceremony at a Forward Operating Base in Suai at about 4.45PM New Zealand time, Brigadier Ken Gillespie, military commander of the Sector West Region in East Timor, handed the weapon to the Commanding Officer of the New Zealand Battalion, Lieutenant Colonel Martin Dransfield. The weapon was then blessed by the New Zealand Battalion's Padre. The weapon had been handed over earlier in the day by the TNI to Brigadier Gillespie at his Headquarters in Suai.

"I welcome the return of the weapon. It is now out of the hands of those who could use it for criminal purposes and I can only hope that this development brings us closer to the capture and bringing to justice of those responsible for the killing of Private Manning," says Brigadier Lou Gardiner, New Zealand's Senior National Officer in East Timor.

The second New Zealand Battalion Group, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Martin Dransfield, will return to New Zealand within the next fortnight, to be replaced by the third New Zealand Battalion to serve in East Timor.

"The return of the weapon is timely and in a sense provides a feeling of closure for the second Battalion prior to returning to New Zealand" said Brigadier Gardiner.

ENDS

For further information please contact Wing Commander John Seward, HQ NZDF Press Officer, Ph: (04) 4960299

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Rohingya Muslims Massacred: Restrictions On Aid Put 1000s At Risk

Amnesty: The Myanmar authorities’ restrictions on international aid in Rakhine state is putting tens of thousands of lives at risk in a region where mainly Rohingya people are already suffering horrific abuses from a disproportionate military campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

ALSO:

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Pacific.Scoop
  • Cafe Pacific
  • PMC