TIMOR TODAY 20 NOVEMBER 2000
TIMOR TODAY 20 NOVEMBER 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) UN investigator in East Timor agrees not to resign 21/11/00 (ABC) The UN chief investigator for serious crimes in East Timor has agreed not to resign after last minute pledges by the body's administrators to supply his unit with desperately needed resources.
2) Gen. Wiranto denies any foreknowledge of East Timor 21/11/00 (Jakarta Post) MAKASSAR, South Sulawesi (JP): Gen. (ret.) Wiranto brushed aside here on Monday foreign news reports that he knew before hand of the terror tactics which were to be unleashed in East Timor in September last year.
3) Indonesian military issues warning over Wiranto allegations 21/11/00 (ABC) The Indonesian military has warned Australian officials against suggesting that former armed forces chief General Wiranto was implicated in last year's East Timor violence.
4) Instead of disbanding, a rogue Army unit is trying to remake its image. 21/11/00 (Christian Science Monitor) When a rash of explosions rocks Jakarta, they are the immediate suspects. When mysterious "ninja" killers execute dozens of Muslim scholars in East Java, senior politicians whisper their names. And when aid workers are killed in West Timor, United Nations officials point their way.
5) East Timorese refugees screened before boarding boat home 21/11/00 (AFP) - East Timorese refugee soldiers and their families are preparing to begin the journey back to their devastated homeland, an official coordinating the repatriation said.
6) Scars of vote violence remain real for many East Timor women 21/11/00 (AFP) Women's groups and rape investigators say the victims of militia rape and sex slavery continue to bear the scars of post-ballot violence in East Timor, facing ostracism on their return home.
7) Gusmao Visiting Oe Cusse, Western Areas to Raise ´Consciousness´ 21/11/00 (Lusa) Independence leader Xanana Gusmao will begin a visit to East Timor´s Oe Cusse enclave and western areas of the territory bordering Indonesia Tuesday, on a mission to "raise democratic consciousness", officials announced in Dili.
8) Constitution Should Go To Referendum - Lisbon Parliament Speaker 21/11/00 (Lusa) The speaker of the Portuguese parliament, Antonio Almeida Santos, said Monday he had urged East Timor´s political leaders during a visit to hold a referendum on the territory´s future constitution to avoid divisions and "unimaginable consequences".
9) Tommy escaped, who will seize Timor? 21/11/00 (Gatra) The escape of Tommy Soeharto not only created problems to the police. The executives working for Tommy's companies also received the wrath. "At twelve o'clock midnight, someone called, ‘Know where Tommy is hiding?'" related a commissary at several of Tommy's companies who asked not to have his name mentioned.
10) Australia praises Manila's Timor troop commitment 21/11/00 (ABC) The chief of the Australian defence force, Admiral Chris Barrie, has praised the Philippine armed forces for playing a key part in the international force that's restored peace to East Timor.
11) Daily Briefing, 20 November 2000 21/11/00 (UNTAET) On Wednesday, some 50 Milsas, former East Timorese members of the Indonesian military, and six former civil servants are expected to return to East Timor from the West Timor refugee camps, along with more than 400 relatives.
Timor Today Funding! https://timoraid.securewebsites.com/etisc_donation_page/donate.htm In order to keep this highly successful service going until we find a new grant, we appeal to all readers to contribute by making a donation.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
--- Support our Sponsor ------------------------------------
Sponsored by VeriSign - The Internet Trust Company What all your customers want: secure online shopping. Get VeriSign's Secure Site Seal and 128-bit SSL encryption on your site! FREE Guide! http://click.topica.com/aaaaPgausWsNauubHDa/Verisign