World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Negotiations On B'ville Resume Today

USP Pacific Journalism Online: http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/
USP Pasifik Nius: http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/nius/index.html
USP Pasifik Nius stories on Scoop (NZ):
http://www.scoop.co.nz/international.htm
Have your say: http://www.TheGuestBook.com/vgbook/109497.gbook

PORT MORESBY: Negotiations on the political future of Bougainville will resume today, reports the Post-Courier.

No talks were held between the Papua New Guinea national Government’s negotiating team and the Bougainvillean leaders on Friday or Saturday after the Bougainvilleans team walked out of the talks on Thursday afternoon.

The team, co-led by Governor John Momis and Bougainville People’s Congress president Joseph Kabui, walked out of the talks after what they said was the National Government’s back tracking on a number of issues critical to their push for an autonomous government and a referendum on the political future of the province.

Mr Kabui said yesterday afternoon he and his team was intact and would wait for talks to resume today.

"Nothing happened last Friday or Saturday,’" Mr Kabui said.

He said there was an understanding reached with the National Government last Thursday that the negotiations will resume today.

"There is an understanding in place that both parties will get together again and carry on the negotiations tomorrow (today)," he said.

"That’s contained in a letter Sir Michael (Somare, Bougainville Affairs Minister and the leader of the Government team) sent to me and Governor Momis.

"We are still here.

"My team is all intact and we are ready to continue the negotiations."

On Friday, Sir Michael told Parliament during Question Time the talks were discontinued prematurely last Thursday because the Bougainvillean leaders were unhappy with the “wording’’ and had walked out in protest.

He said the walkout by the Bougainvilleans had come at a time when discussions had reached a critical stage.

Negotiations up to that time had been "very good",he said, adding his side had been in touch with the Bougainvilleans immediately to organise reconvening the talks.

Sir Michael said such a walk out was expected at such negotiations.

Prime Minister Sir Mekere Morauta reiterated his Government’s commitment to the peace process, saying Bougainville would continue to be a priority area for his Government.

+++niuswire


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news