TIMOR TODAY 30 NOVEMBER 2000
TIMOR TODAY 30 NOVEMBER 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Suspects in UN workers killing flown to Jakarta for trial 30/11/00 (Jakarta Post) JAKARTA - The East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) provincial authorities on Tuesday flew six East Timorese suspected of slaughtering three UN workers in West Timor in September to Jakarta for trial.
2) Fresh Human Rights Violations in East Timor 30/11/00 (Tempo) The United Nations High Commission on Human Rights Chairman, Olson, reported evidence of killings in Oikosi, East Timor, and the burial of bodies in West Timor.
3) Indonesian authorities provide tight security for militia members 30/11/00 (Radio Australia) Authorities in Indonesia are providing tight security for six former militia members suspected of murdering three United Nations workers in West Timor in September.
4) What could be worse than East Timorese refugee camps? 30/11/00 (Jakarta Post) ATAMBUA - Food is scarce, so is clean water. Malnourished children in dirty clothes seem to fill every corner of the camps and their number continues to increase, despite the impossibility of the situation.
5) East Timor Refugees Hijack Two Trucks in Kupang 30/11/00 (Tempo) Kupang - East Nusatenggara:Between Saturday, November 25, and today, November 27, East Timorese refugees from the Sulamu refugees camp in Kupang regency hijacked two Kupang Social Department trucks used to transport rice.
6) Flags Raised to Mark ´Democratic Republic´s´ 25th Anniversary 30/11/00 (Lusa) East Timor´s historic pro-independence Fretilin party raised the flag of its ill-fated "Democratic Republic" at a Dili football field Tuesday to mark the 25th anniversary of its unilateral declaration of independence in 1975.
7) Learn from East Timor, Jakarta told 30/11/00 (The Age) The elder statesman of Asian politics, Lee Kuan Yew, has warned Indonesia that it cannot afford to risk making the same mistakes in West Papua that it did in East Timor.
8) 12 bodies in Dili mass grave 30/11/00 (The Age) United Nations police in East Timor are investigating the discovery of at least 12 sets of human remains in Dili, thought to be victims of a massacre dating back to the 1975 Indonesian invasion.
9) East Timor well advanced towards independence, Security Council told 30/11/00 (UNDP) - Reviewing progress in the work of the United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET), the head of the UN mission told the Security Council this morning that the territory was well advanced on the transition to independence.
10) Old fighters try new life in East Timor 30/11/00 (The Age) Francisco Soares is finally going home. After seemingly endless negotiations, the Indonesian army has settled his salary arrears and paid his pension. The United Nations has promised that he and his family will be protected.
11) Refugees worried by reported attacks on returnees: ex-militia leader 30/11/00 (AFP) JAKARTA - Refugee repatriation agencies hailed the return to East Timor of a group of demobilised soldiers as a success, but refugee leaders in West Timor said Monday reported attacks on returning soldiers were setting back further repatriation efforts.
12) West Papuan group to declare provisional government on Friday 30/11/00 (Radio Australia) In Indonesia's easternmost province of West Papua, a radical independence group says it will declare a provisional government later this week.
13) East Timor - Rehabilitation 28 Nov 2000 30/11/00 (IOM) IOM has started to re-roof 31 primary schools in East Timor's Ambeno enclave in a joint project with UNICEF.
14) Timor - Returns Update 24 Nov 2000 30/11/00 (IOM) The last of 410 East Timorese refugees that arrived from Kupang Tuesday aboard the IOM-chartered Patricia Anne Hotung were safely returned to their villages in IOM buses last night.
---------------------------------------- Timor Today Funding! https://timoraid.securewebsites.com/etisc_donation_page/donate.htm In order to keep this highly successful service going until we find a new grant, we appeal to all readers to contribute by making a donation.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
--- Sponsor's Message --------------------------------------
Does your ISP pay you to join, give you up to 50% off in a mall & give you a $22 shopping credit each month, for user fee of 21.95 month? go to: http://click.topica.com/aaaaXrausWsNauubHDa/connectandcollect