World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


EBRD Ignores Safety Concerns With Chernobyl

EBRD Ignores Safety Concerns With Approval Of Chernobyl Replacement Reactors In The Ukraine: Greenpeace

LONDON, Dec 7, 2000 – Greenpeace today condemned as irresponsible today's decision by the the executive directors of the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) to finance the two Chernobyl replacement reactors in the Ukraine.

The EBRD's 22 executive directors, at a meeting at the bank's headquarters in London, today approved the US$ 215 million loan with 35 financial and economic conditions for the completion of the half-built reactors at Khmelnitsky and Rovno, known collectively as K2R4. It will be part of a $1.48 billion loan package for the project.

A total of 9 EBRD member countries are believed to have voted against the K2R4 proposal including the Netherlands, Austria and Hungary while 11 countries abstained including Germany. The rest of the 59 member countries are believed to have voted in favour of the project. (The EBRD operates on a weighted voting system meaning that one executive director can represent more than one country).

"The EBRD decision to complete the K2R4 reactors is a slap into the faces of thousands of victims of the Chernobyl catastrophe, " said Greenpeace spokesperson Tobias Muenchmeyer. "It is an absurd thing to replace Chernobyl with two new nuclear reactors, described as 'hazardous' in independent safety assessments".

"This is an irresponsible decision which will put Europe more at risk from another Chernobyl scale nuclear disaster. It has totally removed any cause for celebration at the official closure of Chernobyl next week," said Muenchmeyer.

A study, commissioned by the Austrian government, described the half-completed reactors as “particularly hazardous” and said they would not reach Western safety standards. It found that the reactor design assumptions for earthquakes at the Khmelnitsky and Rovno sites had been underestimated by a factor of four.

"This a victory for the French nuclear lobby represented in the EBRD. The decision ignores the serious safety concerns about the K2R4 reactors as well as scientific proof, that this project is uneconomic," said Muenchmeyer.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: CALL TOBIAS MUENCHMEYER ON ++ 49-1708 666052 OR JON WALTER ON ++31-653504731

end

For information on Greenpeace please visit:

http://www.greenpeace.org


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news