World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Freelance cameraman denies misleading NZ TV report

Freelance cameraman denies misleading NZ TV reports

* Pacific Media Watch Online:

http://www.pmw.c2o.org

* Post a comment on PMW's Right of Reply:

http://www.TheGuestBook.com/egbook/257949.gbook

FREELANCE CAMERAMAN DENIES MISLEADING NZ TV REPORTS

* See PMW reports 3141, 3140

SUVA: A freelance cameraman in the northern Fiji Islands town of Labasa who is being questioned over a television report broadcast in New Zealand last month said there was nothing misleading about what he reported.

Jyanendra Sharma, 29, of Bulileka, Labasa, said he took pictures of what was a "scary" military exercise held on a public road in Bulileka on 1 November 2000. [The controversial footage was broadcast in a New Zealand TV3 news bulletin on November 29.]

He said the military should investigate why its officers in the northern
island of Vanua Levu did not inform the public about the exercise which caused "unnecessary panic and fear".

"My story was based on that. Why was the public not informed about the exercise? It scared a lot of people, including students and children," he said.

Sharma claims the exercise involved about five armed masked men in civilian clothes who were screaming and firing in the air on a public road at Bulileka.

"This all happened in a densely populated area. There are three kindergartens, a primary school and a high school in the area," he said.

"And of all places, why have it in a public place? I called police that day but they were not even aware of it."



"The students were scared and crying," said Sharma, who is contracted by the TV3 station.

He said he learnt of it being only a military exercise after making inquiries that day.

"I'm a newsman and I was basically doing my job. And we all know what happened the next day at Nabua, in Suva, where Fijians shot Fijians," he said.

Sharma, however, disputed claims of the report saying there was a shoot-out between rebels and soldiers and of people being killed.

He said police questioned him over the contents of the report but did not charge him.

"I'm here at home and waiting. The military should do an internal investigation. They should not have done anything like that, especially after all that has happened since May 19," he said.

Military spokesman Liuetenant Ilaisa Tagitupou, however, said Sharma should have "done some investigation" before sending the footage to New Zealand.

"As a journalist, he should have done his homework. How could TV3 have come up with a story like that?" he asked,

Senior Superintendent Mosese Sagoa said police had not completed the investigation.

+++niuswire

PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH ONLINE: http://www.pmw.c2o.org

PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH is an independent, non-profit, non-government organisation comprising journalists, lawyers, editors and other media workers, dedicated to examining issues of ethics, accountability, censorship, media freedom and media ownership in the Pacific region. Launched in October 1996, it has links with the Journalism Program at the University of the South Pacific, Bushfire Media, the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism, and Pactok Communications, in Sydney and Port Moresby.

(c)1996-2000 Copyright - All rights reserved.

Items are provided solely for review purposes as a non-profit educational service. Copyright remains the property of the original producers as indicated. Recipients should seek permission from the copyright owner for any publishing. Copyright owners not wishing their materials to be posted by PMW please contact us. The views expressed in material listed by PMW are not necessarily the views of PMW or its members.

Recipients should rely on their own inquiries before making decisions based on material listed in PMW. Please copy appeals to PMW and acknowledge source.

For further information, inquiries about joining the Pacific Media Watch

listserve, articles for publication, and giving feedback contact Pacific

Media Watch at: E-mail: niusedita@pactok.net.au or: bfmedia@mpx.com.au Fax: (+679) 30 5779 or (+612) 9660 1804 Mail: PO Box 9, Annandale, NSW 2038, Australia or, c/o Journalism, PO Box 1168, Suva, Fiji New website: http://www.pmw.c2o.org


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On Collective Punishment In Venezuela

Yemen, Venezuela, Iran, Gaza… beyond the particulars of their suffering, each of these countries currently share one thing in common: their ordinary citizens are being subjected to collective punishment, in order to bring about regime change. More>>

Widely Ignored Report: 40,000 Dead Venezuelans Under US Sanctions

A new report on April 25 by a respected think tank has estimated that US sanctions imposed on Venezuela in August 2017 have caused around 40,000 deaths... Additional sanctions imposed in January 2019 are likely to lead to tens of thousands of further deaths. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Left-Wing Victory In Spain

Portugal and Spain continue to be striking exceptions to the rise of rightwing populism in Europe, a fact that’s commonly explained by the relatively recent experience both countries have had of living under fascist regimes. (Franco in Spain, and Salazar in Portugal.)

That horrific past still seems very much alive in the minds of voters... More>>

Easter Bombings Kill Hundreds: UN, World Leaders Condemn Sri Lanka Attacks

More than 200 have been killed and hundreds injured by a series of explosions inside churches and hotels in Sri Lanka, as Christians gathered for services to celebrate Easter.. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Pacific.Scoop
  • Cafe Pacific
  • PMC