World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Military Sitting On Time-Bomb: Report

Issue No: 856 15 June 2001

The Fiji military is sitting on a time-bomb, says a report written by a former soldier.

The solider, who has sympathies with the CRW unit soldiers who carried out a failed mutiny last November, says that unless the whole truth is revealed and those guilty of the 19 May and 2 November attempted coups are brought to justice, there is a great danger that a major and violent confrontation will erupt again.

The report states that the 2 November mutiny was caused by officers who couldnot achieve what they wanted on 19 May. It states: "In that [Board of Inquiry], which highlighted the involvement of senior officers. Col [Ulaiasi] Vatu's name was also mentioned as he was supposed to take over as Commander but this did not materialise for reason known to him."

"Not addressing the problem led again to Col Vatu's involvement in the November 2, 2000 mutiny."

"If we fail to solve the problem then expect something unusual again in the near future. The army must come down to earth and know the people have been following them very closely and what they have seen are facts. Its about time the military should stop their cover up formulas and resort from using all sorts of lies."

The report names numerous persons as being behind the terrorists. It concludes:

"History repeats itself most of the time and any right thinking citizen will always remember that. There is already a group of senior officers in camp who are not happy with Commodore Bainimarama's selection on Naval Commander Esala Teleni in the last UN postings. The same group did not agree on the latest appointment of another Naval officer Commander Viliame Naputo as Chief Operation officer."

"This is another 'time bomb' in the bag which will surely explode causing another stoppage."

The conclusion that another uprising is likely, is similar to a sworn statement by the military commander that another uprising is likely in Fiji soon. (see: http://www.pcgov.org.fj/hot_press/no768.htm)

END

Leave Seruvakula alone - report
Issue No: 855 15 June 2001

A report on the military asks that Lt. Col. Viliame Seruvakula, who had publicly stated that some army officers, chiefs, politicians and businessmen were the brains behind the two attempted coups last year, be left alone.

The report states:

"Reading through the hard talk column of the Sun Newspaper on April 11 2001 and watching both TV interviews on Sunday April 22nd with Thursday 26 April on Close Up I was really surprised that Lieutant - Colonel Viliame Seruvakula did not come up clean in the interviews."

"After working with him for the last few years and reading through his thoughts in the media, I have made up my mind to reveal few things he failed to highlight. It is not the intention of this report to hurt anyone or an institution but to clear uncertainly that has been planted to tear us apart. All that will be revealed must not be taken for granted as people have died hurt or offended and it is our utmost duty to find out ways of solving them."

"On the other hand the police have indicated that they want Seruvakula back in the country to be interviewed. I humbly suggest to the Police 'to leave Seruvakula alone' as the Republic of the Fiji Military Forces (RFMF) are in possession of all that they need. All they do is seek assistance from the RFMF as all names were mentioned in a Board of Inquiry (BOI) conducted after the May 19, 2000 takeover. The Army spokesman Lt Ilaisa Tagitupou had said the army is always ready to assist and facilitate the police in their investigations. Let all hope that he is true with his words as he was also present during the BOI."

The allegations that the military is fully aware of the persons behind the attempted coups, and the fact that it has done nothing to arrest these persons and get them charged, raises serious questions on whether the military can be trusted to uphold law and order in the country.

END

Military officers assisted terrorists
Issue No: 854 15 June 2001

Some officers in the military were in total support of the terrorists who took the elected government hostage last May. The government was held hostage for 56 days.

A report written by a former solider states:

"The involvement of senior officers began way back in the Parliament takeover. This was evident when these military officers supplied food, arms and ammunition to the CRW boys."

"At one stage RFMF Head of Legal Matters Lt Col Etueni Caucau had to come down to parliament with 'leave application forms' to be signed by each soldier."

"How can the military say that these boys acted alone? One wonders what happened to the findings of the BOI that was conducted after May and November.

The army seems to be imitating the findings without distributing the truth. For example why was Lt Col Taraikinikini allowed to go to his United Nation postings when the BOI found out that he was a 'wanted man'."

Another soldier named as assisting the terrorists is Col. Ulaiasi Vatu. The report also questions the loyalty of the military commander and his deputy. It asks: "Why investigate Lt Col Caucau alone? How about the others? The likes of Vatu, Taraikinikini, Baledrokadroka, Col Alfred Tuatoko and Commodore Bainimarama have done wrong and it needs an independent inquiry."

END

Tarakinikini, Vatu, Baledrokadroka involved in attempted coup - report

Issue No: 853 15 June 2001

A 6-page report written by a former soldier reveals names of numerous civilians and military officers who were involved with the 19 May and 2 November attempted coups.

It is believed that Naitasiri High Chief Ratu Inoke Takiveikata was charged on the basis of this same report. The report states:

"The Turaga Na Qaranivalu Ratu Inoke Takiveitaka is the chief behind the suffering of these boys [CRW soldiers involved in the mutiny] as he instigated the November 2, 2000 mutiny.

"Lt Col Tarakinikini and Major Baledrokadroka are from Ratu Inoke's Naitasiri province. They were first approached to remove the Army Commander, as his tactics were not popular. The two army officers confirmed they will do it but at their own timing."

"Then Ratu Inoke approached Colonel Ulaiasi Vatu and he turned on the green light and gave the order."

"These officers will deny all revelations but God who sees everything will reveal everything at the right time."

"After a meeting with Ratu Inoke in October last year one of the CRW boys was issued with a mobile phone and this same mobile phone is in the hands of the military."

"Some of the boys are willing to help me in my investigation and will come up with things, which we should know, as people are using them for their own benefit. They have spent the last 6 months behind bars without being visited by any of the instigators. Their families have suffered far too long and the boys are not allowed to attend funerals of their father or mother who have passed away during their time of detention."

"The chief and officers who have been using the boys, have disassociated themselves and cannot be blamed or prosecuted for lack of evidence but everything will come to light when the time is right. If they are not known today, maybe tomorrow or next week, month or year but their time will surely come."

END


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:


Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Mexico: Violence And Repression Of Teachers

The member organizations of Network for Peace express our indignation over the acts of repression that the Mexican State has carried out, through the police forces... In Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca, the conflict has resulted in murders of teachers and civilians as well as hundreds of wounded and dozens of people arrested. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Britain's Pleas For Mercy

So… Boris Johnson is promising that he won't be holding a snap general election, if he's chosen as the next UK Conservative Party leader. Reportedly, he is even making that promise a feature of his leadership campaign, since a vote for Boris would therefore mean (wink wink) that his colleagues wouldn't have to risk their jobs and face the wrath of the British public until 2020. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news