World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Star Wars Activists Still Defiant on Missile Base


Activists return to Vandenberg Air Force Base prior to sentencing

18 January 2002, Los Angeles, California - Greenpeace activists who face jail over a peaceful protest against the Star Wars missile defence programme in the United States, have peacefully and lawfully returned to the military base to re-state their opposition to the programme.

While still awaiting sentencing, activists gathered at the front gate of Vandenberg Air Force Base holding banners that read "Still Protesting Star Wars".

14 activists and two freelance journalists pled guilty to conspiring to trespass at the base last July 14th (1). This Friday morning in Los Angeles, nine of the group are due to be sentenced (2). The charge carries a maximum of six months in jail.

"Greenpeace is proud of the action conducted in opposition to the test of the Star Wars missile defence programme at Vandenberg Airforce Base last July 14, and it is proud of the activists who carried it out. We remain committed to opposing the Bush Administration's dangerous and ill-conceived missile defence program, to working for a world free of nuclear weapons. We are still protesting Star Wars," said Greenpeace International disarmament campaigner Mike Townsley. "They can tie our hands, but they can't tape our mouths." Townsley added.

Even though all those present entered the same guilty plea last week, the US Attorney's office has said it may still demand jail terms for seven of the group, including both freelance journalists (3).

"The government's insistence on felony charges in this case was outrageous and unprecedented. I never saw anything like it in my seven years as a federal prosecutor. That the government would compound this injustice by seeking jail time for seven of these peaceful protestors, most of whom have no prior convictions, is an affront to the principles of democracy." said Greenpeace lawyer Aaron Dyer.

All the activists due to be sentenced today will make statements in court detailing their opposition to the Star Wars programme and the fact that the July 14th test broke both US and international law - an allegation they would have been prevented from presenting to the court had they gone to trial.

Notes to editors:

(1) The US Attorney's Office dropped the two felony charges against all the defendants. All those present in court pled guilty to a misdemeanour charge of conspiring to trespass. Greenpeace in the United States has been bound by a civil injunction preventing US staff from breaking the law during protests at military bases in the US and Marshall Islands that support the Star Wars programme for the next five years.

One German activist, Mathias Pendzailek was unable to return to the States to plead, after being hospitalised with a severe inner ear infection which prevented him from flying.

(2) Those to be sentenced today are from the US, UK, India, Australia & Sweden.

(3) Those to be sentenced on April 15th are from the US, UK, New Zealand, Germany, Canada & Spain

Contact:

Sara Holden, Greenpeace International press officer:
+1 202 257 5591

Carol Gregory, Greenpeace USA press officer: +1 202 251 3998

Mike Townsley, Greenpeace International campaigner: +1 202 255 9560

Photographs of the Greenpeace activists return to Vandenberg are available from:

John Novis, Greenpeace photo editor, Amsterdam: +31 20 524 9580

Lori Weiner, Greenpeace photo editor, Washington:
+1 202 319-2441

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news