World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Fiji Army Peacekeepers File $255m Writ

SUVA (Pasifik Nius): Fiji military peacekeepers who served in overseas missions are suing the government for F$255 million, alleging fraud over pay and allowances from the United Nations, the Fiji Times reports.

A writ was filed in the High Court by troops who did peacekeeping duties in Lebanon from 1978 until the end of last year.

It names the Fiji Military Forces, Minister for Home Affairs Joketani Cokanasiga and the government as defendants.

The soldiers demand:

* Their pay and allowances that the United Nations has been remitting to the government and, which at December 31 last year stood at $255 million.

* Their recreation leave allowance of $US10.50 ($F24.23) per day for seven days every six months, which they claim the RFMF (Republic of Fiji Military Forces) has not paid since 1978.

* Their Fiji National Provident Fund (state retirement scheme) contribution, which is payable from their UN pay of $US988 (SF2280) per month.

"The writ claims fraud as the basis of the claim. It asks the court to award them interest at the rate of 12 percent per annum for the pay and allowances compounded from 1978 and 8.5 percent for their FNPF contribution compounded from 1978," the soldiers said through their lawyer, Tevita Fa.

Cabinet approved an increase in location allowance for serving soldiers from $25 to $30 per day, effective from January 1 this year.

It said a review of the allowance was overdue and that the decision was also in line with the recommendation of a government-appointed Peacekeeping Review Committee in 1993. Home Affairs Minister Joketani Cokanasiga and his permanent secretary, Jeremaia Waqanisau, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

+++niuswire

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news