World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Philippines Province Rejects Coal

Climate Victory: Philippines Province Rejects Coal For Renewable Energy

Tuesday August 6, 2002, Manila: Philippine government officials confirmed today that the proposed 50 megawatt coal-fired power station for Pulupandan in the province of Negros was officially “dead” and that renewable energy was the solution to the province’s power needs. The announcement came on the final day of Greenpeace’s Choose Positive Energy Tour in the Philippines.

“The Department of Energy has already abandoned any talks, plans, whatever you want to call it, to promote the coal-fired project in Pulupandan,” Undersecretary of the Philippines Department of Energy, Cyril del Callar said today. “So let’s put it to rest, OK? And we have to move forward – the answer is we have to use renewable energy.”

The Pulupandan plant was proposed by now bankrupt US company Covanta, and would have been built by French UK corporation Alstom and run on coal imported from Australia. It has been opposed by the local community and environment groups, including Greenpeace, since it was first proposed 1998. Prior to that three municipalities had already rejected it.

The death-knell for the Pulupandan project came as the Governor of Negros province, the Energy Undersecretary and several non- government organisations including Greenpeace signed a Memorandum of Understanding to provide financial and technical support to renewable energy projects and mainstream clean energy technologies such as solar, wind and modern biomass.

“Negros is now ready to embrace renewable energy and chart a sustainable energy future,” said Negros Governor Joseph Marañon. “I wish to declare the full support of the province of Negros Occidental for renewable energy development. I am confident that with all of us here, united and committed towards this common goal, the quest for a greener and pollution free Negros, will soon be a reality, today and in the future.”

Greenpeace hailed the end of the Pulupandan project and subsequent renewable plan as “a great victory for the climate,” and urged others to follow the lead of Negros. “This is a great day for the climate, and for the Philippine province of Negros,” said Greenpeace Southeast Asia campaigns director, Athena Ballesteros. “The people of Negros have campaigned for years to stop the proposed power station in Pulupandan. Communities from around the world can look to Negros as an inspirational example of how they can demand - and get - clean energy, even if national governments or big businesses stand in their way.”

“This month governments from around the world meet in Johannesburg for the Earth Summit. Greenpeace wants them to make a commitment to provide clean and affordable renewable energy to the two billion people around the world who currently live without electricity. If a developing country like the Philippines can reject dirty energy as we have seen today, it’s time for rich countries to do the same.”

The signing capped the Choose Positive Energy campaign tour in the Philippines by the Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise. The three- week campaign highlighted the negative effects of fossil fuel energy projects such as coal-fired power stations, and promoted the need for clean, non-polluting energy. The Arctic Sunrise will leave the Philippines tomorrow for Thailand to continue the Choose Positive Energy Tour of Southeast Asia. Another Greenpeace ship, the Rainbow Warrior, is presently campaigning in the North Sea against nuclear and fossil fuel energy as part of the northern leg of the tour.

The Choose Positive Energy Tour is part of Greenpeace's countdown to the Earth Summit that will be held in Johannesburg, South Africa this month. Greenpeace is also asking governments at the summit to ensure that 10% of energy is provided by renewable sources by 2010.

For more information visit

© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Haiti: $5 Million To Kick-Start Aid In Wake Of Hurricane Matthew

UN emergency fund allocates $5 million to kick-start assistance in wake of Hurricane Matthew More>>


Not Helen Clark: António Guterres Favourite For Next UN Secretary-General

Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres has emerged as the clear favourite to become the next United Nations Secretary-General following the sixth secret ballot held today by the UN Security Council, which is expected to take a formal decision tomorrow and forward Mr. Guterres’ name to the 193-Member General Assembly for final confirmation. More>>


Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>


At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>



Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>


Other Australian Detention

Get More From Scoop

Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news