World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Six papers face censure over Bali reports


* Pacific Media Watch Online - check the website for archive and links:
http://www.pmw.c2o.org

* Post a comment on PMWs' Right of Reply:
http://www.TheGuestBook.com/egbook/257949.gbook

SIX PAPERS FACE CENSURE OVER BALI REPORTS

JAKARTA: (Laksamana.Net/Pacific Media Watch): Chief of the Indonesian Defense Forces' Staff Command College, Lieutenant General Djaja Suparman, on Thursday (27/3/03) urged the Press Council to reprimand six newspapers that he says accused him of involvement in last year's Bali bombings.

The six publications are: The Jakarta Post, Jawa Pos, Bali Pos, Rakyat Merdeka, Pelita and Sumatra Ekspres.

Suparman, former chief of the Jakarta Military Command, said the newspapers had carried biased and slanderous articles linking him to the October 12 nightclub bombings that killed 202 people.

The general on Thursday (27/3/03) met with Press Council chairman Atmakusumah Sastraatmaja and executive director Lukas Suwarso.

"Mr Djaja said the news had swayed public opinion to think he was involved in the case, when in fact he was eventually proven not to have been involved," Suwarso was quoted as saying by online news portal detikcom.

He said the Press Council would discuss whether the six publications had violated the press code of ethics, and then issue a statement on the matter within one to two weeks.

In the days following the Bali blasts, some media commentators had speculated that rogue generals might have masterminded the attacks.

Wimar Witoelar, the jocular former spokesman of ex-president Abdurrahman Wahid, at the time said: "The plot is probably hatched by hardline military rogues. This is certainly an excuse for a military takeover unless it is pre-empted."

Reports said Suparman and former Jakarta Police chief Nugroho Jayusman had on October 12 flown to Bali several hours before the bombings and left the following day. Army chief General Ryamizard Ryacudu had also reportedly been in Bali at the time of the blasts.

At least one report suggested former East Timor militia commander Eurico Guterres was also on the resort island about the same time as the generals.

Indonesian Defense Forces commander General Endriartono Sutarto on October 31 denied the military was involved in the bombings. "I'm sure active armed forces members were not involved. I'm convinced there aren't any. [But] if we're talking about retired military officers then it's beyond my ability to control them," he said.

He claimed Suparman had been in Bali for a vacation, adding that Ryacudu was there for "health reasons".

The Bali bombings have since been blamed on regional terrorism network Jemaah Islamiyah, which has been linked to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda organization. Authorities have arrested 30 Indonesian Islamic radicals in connection with the attacks and trials are expected to start next month.

Suparman, who has served as chief of the Army's Strategic Reserve Command (Kostrad) and East Java Military Command, has a reputation for involvement in covert activities, especially in the formation of civilian militia groups that have been used to attack pro-democracy activists.

+++niuswire

PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH ONLINE http://www.pmw.c2o.org

PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH is an independent, non-profit, non-government organisation comprising journalists, lawyers, editors and other media workers, dedicated to examining issues of ethics, accountability, censorship, media freedom and media ownership in the Pacific region. Launched in October 1996, it has links with the Journalism Program at the University of the South Pacific, Bushfire Media based in Sydney, Journalism Studies at the University of PNG (UPNG), the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism (ACIJ), Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand, and Community Communications Online (c2o).

(c)1996-2003 Copyright - All rights reserved.

Items are provided solely for review purposes as a non-profit educational service. Copyright remains the property of the original producers as indicated. Recipients should seek permission from the copyright owner for any publishing. Copyright owners not wishing their materials to be posted by PMW please contact us. The views expressed in material listed by PMW are not necessarily the views of PMW or its members.

Recipients should rely on their own inquiries before making decisions based on material listed in PMW. Please copy appeals to PMW and acknowledge source.

For further information, inquiries about joining the Pacific Media Watch

listserve, articles for publication, and giving feedback contact Pacific

Media Watch at: E-mail: delaro@clear.net.nz pcronau@hotmail.com Fax: (+679) 30 5779 or (+612) 9660 1804 Mail: PO Box 9, Annandale, NSW 2038, Australia or, PO Box 78028, Auckland 1002, New Zealand. New website: www.pmw.c2o.org


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Rohingya Muslims Massacred: Restrictions On Aid Put 1000s At Risk

Amnesty: The Myanmar authorities’ restrictions on international aid in Rakhine state is putting tens of thousands of lives at risk in a region where mainly Rohingya people are already suffering horrific abuses from a disproportionate military campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf: Gordon Campbell On North Korea, Neo-Nazism, And Milo

With a bit of luck the planet won’t be devastated by nuclear war in the next few days. US President Donald Trump will have begun to fixate on some other way to gratify his self-esteem – maybe by invading Venezuela or starting a war with Iran. More>>

ALSO:

Victory Declared: New Stabilisation Funding From NZ As Mosul Is Retaken

New Zealand has congratulated the Iraqi government on the successful liberation of Mosul from ISIS after a long and hard-fought campaign. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Current US Moves Against North Korea

If Martians visited early last week, they’d probably be scratching their heads as to why North Korea was being treated as a potential trigger for global conflict... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Lessons From Corbyn’s Campaign

Leaving partisan politics aside – and ignoring Jeremy Corbyn’s sensational election campaign for a moment – it has to be said that Britain is now really up shit creek... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Pacific.Scoop
  • Cafe Pacific
  • PMC