Meeting At An Nasiriyah - 13 Point Statement
April 15, 2003
Release Number: 03-04-133
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
POOL REPORT: MEETING AT AN NASIRIYAH PART 3
13 point statement released at the end of the meeting
1.Iraq must be democratic
2.The future government of Iraq should not be based on communal identity
3. A future government should be organized as a democratic federal system, but on the basis of countrywide consultation
4. The rule of law must be paramount
5. That Iraq must be built on respect for diversity including respect for the role of women.
6. The meeting discusses the role of religion in state and society.
7. The meeting discused the principle that Iraqis must choose their leaders, not have them imposed from outside.
8. That political violence must be rejected, and that Iraqis must immediately organize themselves for the task of reconstruction at both the local and national levels.
9. That Iraqis and the coalition must work together to tackle the immediate issues of restoring security and basic services
10. That the Baath party must be dissolved and its effects on society must be eliminated
11. That there should be an open dialogue with all national political groups to bring them into the process.
12. That the meeting condemns the looting that has taken place and the destruction of documents
13. The Iraqi participation in the Nasiriyah meeting voted that there should be another meeting in 10 days in a location to be determined with additional Iraqi participants and to discuss procedures for developing an Iraqi interim authority.