Solidarity with the Kananam people Ban R.D. Tuna
Solidarity with the Kananam people of Madang, Papua New Guinea!
Solidarity with the Kananam people of Madang, Papua New Guinea! Dear friends - please circulate this message which has been authorised by Friends of Kananam and endorsed by the Kananam community
The Kananam community say 'NO' to R.D. Tuna! BOYCOTT R.D. TUNA PRODUCTS! visit our website http://lorikeet.and.com.au/RD/rdtuna.html
Members of the Kananam community (Madang, Papua New Guinea) have formed the Idawad Association to protest the development of a huge tuna cannery on their land.
The wholly Filipino owned company R.D. Tuna have gained access to a wharf facility on Kananam land, after a land deal with the Catholic Church and the Madang Provincial Government, carried out behind the backs of Kananam landowners.
Now the entire cannery
(presently located between Madang City and the wharf) is due
to be expanded and relocated to Kananam land. Kananam
leaders such as James Sungai and Francis Gem are furious,
and point out that:
* the cannery is seriously polluting their lagoon, wetlands, water and air
* workers are very lowly paid (less than US$2/day) and unions are banned
* RD Tuna ships are encouraging a prostitution trade in the Kananam community
* all senior managers are Filipino, and all profits are sent to the Philippines
* RD Tuna pays NO tax in PNG JOIN THE INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN TO SUPPORT THE KANANAM COMMUNITY! BOYCOTT RD TUNA PRODUCTS!
Support the Kananam people - don't buy RD Tuna products, under these names: - Omega, Tovos, Loreley, Goddess, Cana, La Miranda, Adria, Everday, Diana, Le Pecheur, Les Doris, La Perla, Osprey -
Authorised by Friends of Kananam