World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Iraq: Feeding the palace poor


Iraq: Feeding the palace poor

Yesterday (Monday) World Vision began registering Iraqis sheltering in Nineweh Palace - Saddam's northernmost presidential complex - in an effort to get them food, emergency aid and proper shelter.

Dispossessed Iraqi families gathered in a former Special Republican Guard barracks section of the Mosul-based complex to register their names, the villages they had come from and other family details.

This was the start of a process designed to ensure they do not miss out on vital food supplied by the World Food Programme under the current UN Food For Oil Programme.

Some displaced families had their food stocks looted or were forced to abandon them when they fled fighting or post-conflict land disputes in their villages. Others were kicked out of their homes by landlords when they could no longer afford the rent.

One family told World Vision they had been forced to flee their village after a post-war land dispute forced them out. They lived for 20 days in the open before they found refuge in a looted palace guardhouse. They have no electricity, toilets, tapped water, or doors and windows. Unexploded ordinance left behind by the Iraqi Army is a danger to their children.

World Vision has been appointed as the agency responsible for tracking displaced Iraqis in the northern governorate of Nineweh by the International Organization for Migration.

World Food Programme staff are helping World Vision identify and register the displaced in Mosul city. World Vision will trace displaced people across Nineweh, estimated population 2.5 million.

There are homeless Iraqis living not just in Saddam Hussein's old palace but in government buildings, sports complexes and in half-complete apartment blocks.

Once registered, the displaced will be given food and other essential supplies. The IOM also has tents and kitchen kits stored in Turkey which, if needed, will be made available.

One displaced man Waleed Khalid said his Baghdad home had been bombed and then looted and his family had fled north.

"I started to run out of money. I went to the mayor's building (in Mosul) and they told me to come to the palace," he said.

World Vision Programme Officer Margaret Chilcott said: "We are learning that thousands of people are holed up in abandoned buildings...We have kick-started a process where families will get access to water, food and safe shelter."

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news