World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


IOF Shoot Dead 2 Palestinians in Gaza, Nablus

IOF Shoot Dead 2 Palestinians in Gaza, Nablus

Child Dies of Wounds Sustained in Assassination Attempt on Rantisi

Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) killed two Palestinians in northern Gaza and Nablus city while a child died of wounds she sustained earlier last week in the Israeli assassination attempt on Hamas political leader Abdel Aziz al-Rantisi.

According to Palestinian medical sources in Gaza city, eight-year-old Amal al-Jarousha died in hospital from severe wounds she sustained last week when Israeli Apache gunships fired at least five missiles at the car of Hamas leader Rantisi.

Two people were killed in the attack, including an elderly woman, while Rantisi escaped with minor injuries.

Khadra Abu Hamada, 50, who was walking beside Rantisi’s car at the time of the attack, Palestinian security sources said.

Meanwhile, two Palestinians were killed in separate Israeli raids on the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Hanoun and the northern West Bank city of Nablus.

IOF opened fire at a group of Palestinians in Beit Hanoun killing Rafat al-Za’anin, 23 and wounding seven other Palestinians, doctors said.

Beit Hanoun has been under Israeli occupation for more than a month. It has been isolated completely from the rest of the Gaza Strip, Palestinian officials said.

Earlier, Israeli occupation troops shot dead an 18-year-old Palestinian, Khaled Saker, when they fired at a group of youth throwing stones at them in the Askar refugee camp near Nablus in the northern West Bank, Palestinian hospital sources said.

At least five other youths were wounded, medical sources added.

IOF invaded the refugee camp on Saturday and imposed a curfew on the residents before carrying out wide-scale house raids.

Meanwhile, IOF demolished seven houses and five orange groves in the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah.

Palestinians, Israelis Hold Talks

In another matter, Palestinian security chief Mohammed Dahlan met Saturday night with Gen. Amos Gilad, the IOF coordinator in the occupied territory, at the home of the US ambassador to Israel, the Israeli daily Ha’aretz reported.

The purpose was to discuss an Israeli proposal to withdraw from parts of the Gaza Strip to positions held before the outbreak of Palestinian Intifada against occupation in September 2000.

Palestinian Cabinet Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo said that under the latest US proposal, Israel would withdraw from large areas of Gaza and two West Bank cities.

The two sides would also make a new cease-fire declaration, Abed Rabbo said.

On Friday, the Palestinian leadership met to discuss the proposed pullback and decided it was “ready to take security responsibility in every area the Israelis show willingness to withdraw from,” Information Minister Nabil Amre said.

Meanwhile, a high-level delegation of Egyptian security officials are expected to arrive in Gaza today to meet with Hamas officials to discuss a possible truce.

Talks between Palestinian factions and the Palestine National Authourity (PNA) to reach a declaration of cease-fire were halted due to the recent series of Israeli assassinations of Hamas activists.

Israel has said it was widening its campaign against Hamas and would target its top leaders.

In recent days, Israel carried out seven missile strikes against Hamas activists, including the failed attempt on Rantisi’s life. Hamas blew up a Jerusalem bus to avenge Rantisi, and carried out a number of other attacks.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news