World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Egypt, US Work to Boost Palestinian Israeli Truce

Egyptian, US mediators Work Hard to Boost Palestinian – Israeli Truce

Palestinian Leadership, Factions Confirm Adherence to Hudna

US and Egyptian mediators met with Palestinian and Israeli leaders amid an impasse over Palestinian detainees held in the jails of the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) that threatens to torpedo the fragile, 11-day-old cease-fire, to which Palestinian leadership and factions reconfirmed their commitment to on Wednesday.

Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmud Abbas (Abu Mazen) said the detainees must be quickly released and Israel should withdraw from additional Palestinian cities.

"All of the Palestinian parties are committed to the truce (and) will continue to be committed to it, but we expect and hope from the Israeli side that it will stop its violations,” he told reporters.

The IOF have already withdrawn from key parts of the Gaza Strip and the West Bank Governorate of Bethlehem, but maintained the siege they impose on both areas.

President Yasser Arafat last week described these Israeli moves as “cosmetic” and urged “real” Israeli implementation of the US-sponsored “roadmap.”

PNA MP and former chief negotiator Saeb Erekat said that while the PNA is suffering from internal problems, Abbas’ "wagon is really overloaded” by a lack of action on the part of Israel and the Americans.

"I don't deny that there are difficulties and problems internally,” Erekat said But Abbas’ wheels are "stuck in the mud,” he said - by Sharon trying to dictate the situation when it comes to releasing Palestinian detainees, and by the Americans for failing to come up with a plan for implementing the “roadmap.”

"Abbas needs our help,” Erekat said. "He needs assistance... It's up to the Americans to [come up with] a comprehensive implementation plan.”

The next move in the Israeli-Palestinian “roadmap” peace process is up to the Americans, a leading PNA official told CNS News on Wednesday.

US Middle East envoy John Wolf Wednesday met with Palestinian security chief Mohammed Dahlan and a diplomat indicated that meetings with Israeli officials were also planned.

Israeli sources on Wednesday said that Dahlan was scheduled to meet with the Israeli Minister of “Defense” Shaul Mofaz Thursday, but the meeting has yet to be confirmed.

Wolf is "exploring ways of how to advance the peace process, how to speed it up, how to move it along,” Raanan Gissin, an adviser to Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, said.

Wolf on Tuesday met the Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom and urged Israel to increase the number of Palestinian detainees to be released and to dismantle the recently - built illegal settlers’ outposts.

Meanwhile an Egyptian senior security delegation visited the Gaza Strip to shore up the truce and met with their Palestinian counterparts, Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Fatah factions.

"We assured them we are committed to the initiative which we announced (the truce),” Hamas spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmad Yassin said after meeting with the Egyptian delegates.

"We put the Egyptian delegation in the picture about Israeli violations and aggression and we told them we will have patience and tolerance but told them that our patience is limited.”

Similarly Islamic Jihad spokesman Nafez Azzam charged that Israel is sabotaging the truce by continuing its military operations. The truce "is not going to be free and is not going to be forever,” Azzam said after meeting the Egyptians.

The Egyptian delegation, comprising Generals Mustafa Al-Buhairi, Mohammad Ibrahim and adviser to the Egyptian embassy in Gaza Ahmad Abdulkhaleq, said that the Palestinian side implemented more than 80% of their obligations according to the “roadmap” peace plan, Palestinian daily Al-Ayyam reported on Thursday.

Palestinian presidency’s Secretary General Taib Abdul-Rahim told Al-Ayyam that the problem lies now with the Israeli violations of the truce, which lure Palestinian reactions.

Palestinians are insisting on the release of the estimated 7,000 detainees held in Israel, most on suspicion of involvement in anti-occupation activities. Palestinian officials argue this would provide credibility to the government of Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmud Abbas.

Israel has decided to release about 400 prisoners, representing about 5% of the total, according to PNA Minister of Cabinet Affairs Yasser Abed Rabbo.

Israeli officials say anyone involved in killing Israelis would not be freed and note that the “roadmap” peace plan does not mention the issue.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news