IF Australia isn’t responsible then who is?
IF Australia isn’t responsible then who is?
1. Amanda Vanstone says that the problems on Nauru are nothing to do with Australia. It would be good to get a comment from IOM, the camp managers, or the Government on Nauru. I wonder what country is responsible? If another country is responsible, then maybe there is some hope for the asylum seekers! We just need to know which one. Australia pays for the camp. DIMIA officers were last seen in the camp the day the hunger strike started. The detainees have not seen them since. No one has attempted to talk with the hunger strikers. It seems that they have been left to die.
2.There is no phone to them, and no one can get a visa to visit unless authorised by Australia. Australia has agreed to process all visa requests on behalf of Nauru. Some detainees can use the internet café when it has power, when it is functioning, and when they are permitted. They need to have $5 to use it, so this poses a problem as they have no way to earn money. They rely on gifts from their Australian friends. It is possible to send a fax to the hotel in Nauru where the IOM offices are, and this is delivered the next day to the detainees. There is now a phone in the camp, so if Australian friends send a phone card, then the detainee can use the phone.
3. There is a court case beginning. I have sent a message to the residents of Topside on Julian Burnside’s behalf. We are trying anything we can to give them hope and stop the hunger strike.
Dear Residents of Topside
Our hearts go out to you. Julian Burnside has said there is an important court case starting soon. He will present evidence about you tomorrow. There is some hope. He says you must drink water or you will die before he can get any good result.
Love to you all. Elaine
4.. Conditions in the Camp for the hunger strikers. The men are lying on a verandah near the entrance of the camp, in front of the Social Services building, I believe. IOM has rigged up some plastic for some protection from the sun. The women are sitting in the gatehouse, to be with their men. Earlier in the strike it rained and gave some relief, so many could lie and sit in the rain, and it was not so hot. It is hot now.
5.. The Current State of Health of Hunger Strikers on Nauru Nine men have been without food and water since 9am Nauru time on Wednesday 10th Dec. 2004 Four of these people have their lips sewn. Their lips remain sewn. A further 11 joined on Sunday 3pm. Others joined the strike to make the number 24 in total.
News received by phone from Nauru this afternoon 3.40pm 17th December, state that 11 more have joined, to make a total of 35. Four of these are single men and seven are married men with families. Photos have been taken and will be emailed when the detainees can get to the internet café. (expected 18th Dec) Three men, Jarnil, Sardar, and Raja Tareq have been taken to hospital for the second time after lapsing into unconsciousness again. Raja has a heart problem, so the doctor is monitoring him. At 8pm 17th December Jamshed Urfani was taken to hospital. Assadullah Qazikhail, the diabetic was also transferred to hospital. Two men remain in hospital, Amin and Agha. They both had pain in their kidneys. The facilities in the Nauru hospital are basic because Nauru is in a state of financial ruin.
One of the three men in the mental health unit at State House is in a serious condition, Abdul Aziz. It is hard to get information about their health, except as observed by their friends. The hunger strikers are lying on a verandah. The more seriously ill ones are sleeping. They are tended to by their friends. The friends put wet cloths on their heads and feet and shake them at intervals to see if they can be roused. There are one or two Nauruan nurses there, and a number of “life guards”. The main care of the men is by their friends. When a person becomes unconscious, the doctor is called and the person is removed to hospital. Some have reported pains in their kidneys and passing blood, but there has been no further mention of this. When they go to hospital they are given intravenous fluids but nothing by mouth.
6. The UNHCR is expected to visit Topside Camp. They are coming to see the stateless man, the Palestinians and the Iraqi mothers who are trying to join their husbands in Australia. The UNHCR, hopefully will be able to see the hunger strikers and make a report. This has yet to be arranged.
7. NAURU HUNGER STRIKE - NEWS ALERT
3.42pm AEST, 3.00 pm Nauru:
Eleven more men have joined the hunger strikers:
* 4 Single Men:
3-31 Hassan Ali (photos available)
3-290 Mohammed Jawad Hakimi
3-15 Mohammed Hassan Jaffery
3-112 Mohammed Jan Hadi
* 7 Family men:
3-276 Mohammed Nabir Baqiri
3-193 Mohammed Ali Rehmati (pictures available of his family)
3-154 Zahir Hussain Ali 3-311 Ali Khan Sadiqi
2-3[orange] Abdul Latif [his baby born in detention recently, pictures available]
3-304 Rostam Ali Hassani [four children including Shahraza and baby Farid, pictures available]
3-140 Mohammed Hussani
* Hospitalised today after losing consciousness :
Sardar (pictures available)
Raja Tarij [Pakistani] (pictures available)
Still in hospital:
Amin (pictures available)
Agha (pictures available)
The men in hospital, contrary to DIMIA reports, are not receiving food or fluid by mouth. Intravenous fluids only. [Nil by mouth]
Nauru camp update:
The four men who sewed their lips a week ago still have their lips sewn
The men still in the camp are lying down.
Their friends shake them to check for consciousness.
Three men are in Statehouse after recent serious suicide attempts including :
Abdul Aziz Mohamadi who is a hunger striker: reported to be in very bad physical state.
Update on court case:
Julian Burnside has reported to Elaine Smith that
the case appears to be going very well. More later.