World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Free hostages, say journos

December 18, 2003

Media Release

Free hostages, say journos

New Zealand journalists are joining international calls to free two journalists being held hostage in Aceh.

Their union, the EPMU, has asked Foreign Affairs Minister Phil Goff to do all he can to persuade the Indonesian government to remove obstacles preventing journalist Ersa Siegar and cameraman Fery Santoro being freed.

They were abducted on June 29 while on assignment in Langsa in Aceh by the Gerakan Aceh Merdeka (Free Aceh Movement).

The 500,000-member International Federation of Journalists, to which New Zealand journalists are affiliated, today delivered a letter to the Indonesian president demanding that the IFJ and the Red Cross be allowed free movement in Aceh so that they might safely retrieve the journalists from GAM.

“The IFJ gained agreement from GAM to hand over the journalists on August 19,” said IFJ president Christopher Warren of Australia.

“However, the journalists are still being held captive because the Indonesian military will not allow the free movement of human rights organisations in the province to secure the release of the two journalists.

“The Government of Indonesia can no longer hide behind the idea that these journalists are being held hostage by the GAM. In truth, it is the lack of action from the Indonesian Government which is stalling these journalists from returning home.”

Mr Warren said that there had been a sharp increase in attacks and violence against the media since the start of the war in Aceh on May 19. The Indonesian military had prohibited the reporting of statements by GAM, which had in turn used this restriction to justify attacks against journalists.

EPMU national secretary Andrew Little said that journalists played a vital role in increasing society’s understanding of events, and they must be free to report news without fear of harm.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Preliminary Results: MH17 Investigation Report

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) is convinced of having obtained irrefutable evidence to establish that on 17 July 2014, flight MH-17 was shot down by a BUK missile from the 9M38-series. According to the JIT there is also evidence identifying the launch location that involves an agricultural field near Pervomaiskyi which, at the time, was controlled by pro-Russian fighters. More>>

ALSO:

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news