World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


Update On Tul Karem Refugee Camp Invasion

Update On Tul Karem Refugee Camp Invasion

Starting shortly before 11 am on Monday, January 12, all residents in three neighborhoods of the Tul Karem refugee camp were rounded up at a centrally located day care center. The men were separated out from the women and children and taken away in military trucks.

At the end of the first day, over 230 men had been handcuffed, blindfolded and taken out of the camp to an unknown location. The woman and children, after being separated from the men, were taken to the U.N.W.R.A building in the center of the camp.

From the beginning, several women complained that their children were not present. These women maintained that their children were in a youth center in the middle of the military operation, without an adult present.

A volunteer with the ISM approached a soldier marked as Major and asked that she and a U.N. worker might go into the youth center to look for the children. The Major promised that there were no children in the center.

When asked if the ISM and U.N. could go into the center in order to look for themselves, and comfort the women by their own witnessing, the Major denied access stating that the area was too dangerous.

Several hours later, after the mothers' concerns for their missing children grew, volunteers with the ISM once again approached the Major.

At this point access was granted to the ISM to enter the building themselves in order to determine that their really were no children inside. When volunteers arrived at the youth center in the middle of the invasion, they found that over 15 children were indeed inside, hovering in a corner, crying, without an adult present.

The children, who had spent over 3 hours alone in the middle of the invasion, were escorted out of the building by ISM volunteers. In order to reach their mothers, the children had to crawl under razor wire and walk down a block of the camp where over 20 soldiers were stationed with their guns aimed at the children.

Many other mothers complained that their infant children were inside the invasion area with other relatives. When approached by these mothers, the Major once again denied access in order for these women to find their babies.

By the end of the first day of the invasion, over 300 women and children were kept in the cold and rainy streets, and watched as their homes were occupied, searched and bombed. One elderly woman was forced to stand by and witness her home and everything she owned consumed by fire.

After over 11 hours of being in the streets, many of the woman and children had to seek refuge in nearby homes already overcrowded and short on food. Several of the homes became host to over 20 woman and twice as many children.

The women who remained on the street were herded into the U.N.W.R.A center by border police. ISM volunteers who attempted to join the women in the center were refused entry by the border police, but remained in the camp for the night at a nearby house.

The heavy gunfire and explosions that had been heard throughout the day continued non-stop throughout the night and following day.

Although from the beginning of the invasion the camp was under curfew, Israeli border police began at 1am to repeatedly announce the curfew throughout the night.

With the second day, came another 10 hours of gunfire, explosions and the women not being allowed to their homes. Little food was available during the 30 hours of invasion, with most small amounts that were able to be brought in (mostly bread), given to the children.

A day and one half after the invasion began, 12 men had been officially arrested, three homes had sustained significant fire damage, over 30 homes sustained major damage including man sized holes in walls, holes in floors and complete destruction of personal property.

Almost all windows in this section of the camp were destroyed by bullets and explosions. In one home, in a room next to the bathroom, a pile of excrement was found that had been rubbed into the rug.

© Scoop Media

World Headlines


Gordon Campbell: Is This Guy The World’s Most Dangerous Thirtysomething?

Saudi Arabia has long been regarded as a pillar of stability in the Middle East, and is the essential caterer to the West’s fossil fuel needs. It is also the country that gave us Osama Bin Laden, al Qaeda, and 15 of the 19 terrorists who carried out the 9/11 attacks... More>>


Non-Binding Postal Vote: Australia Says Yes To Same Sex Marriage

Binoy Kampmark: Out of 150 federal seats, 133 registered affirmative totals in returning their response to the question “Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?”. More>>


Bonn Climate Change Conference: Protecting Health In Small Island States

The vision is that, by 2030, all Small Island Developing States will have health systems that are resilient to climate change and countries around the world will be reducing their carbon emissions both to protect the most vulnerable from climate risks and deliver large health benefits in carbon-emitting countries. More>>


Camp Shut Down: Refugees Must Be Rescued From Manus

On 31st October 2017, the detention centre on Manus Island in which the Australian Government has been holding more than 700 refugees was closed, leaving those living there in a desperate situation. More>>



Rohingya Muslims Massacred: Restrictions On Aid Put 1000s At Risk

Amnesty: The Myanmar authorities’ restrictions on international aid in Rakhine state is putting tens of thousands of lives at risk in a region where mainly Rohingya people are already suffering horrific abuses from a disproportionate military campaign. More>>


  • Pacific.Scoop
  • Cafe Pacific
  • PMC