World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


Jakarta Paper Loses In $1m Defamation Suit

* Pacific Media Watch Online - check the website for archive and links:
http://www.pmw.c2o.org/
* Post a comment at PMW's Right of Reply:
http://www.voy.com/166636/

JAKARTA PAPER LOSES IN $1m DEFAMATION SUIT

JAKARTA (Reuters/Pacific Media Watch): An Indonesian court ordered a popular newspaper on Tuesday to pay $1 million to a businessman who it said planned to build gambling dens in the world's most populous Muslim country.

The South Jakarta court also directed the editor and publisher of Koran Tempo to publish public apologies in foreign and domestic media, including CNN and the International Herald Tribune.

Koran Tempo is a sister newspaper of Tempo magazine, known for its fight for press freedom during the autocratic rule of President Suharto, when the magazine was banned on several occasions.

On February 6 last year, Koran Tempo ran a report that said businessman Tomy Winata had plans to set up gambling centres on Indonesian islets.

Gambling is illegal in Indonesia and often provokes harsh reaction from Muslim groups, though some groups and even government officials have in the past advocated the establishment of closely regulated casinos to generate government revenue.

"The defendant should restore the good name of the plaintiff and publicise its remorse over that story," said judge Zoeber Djajadi.

Bambang Harymurti, chief editor of Koran Tempo, criticised the verdict.

"This ruling is crueler than the Dutch colonialism," he said, referring to colonial laws inherited from Indonesia's former ruler, the Netherlands, used to shackle press freedom during Suharto's 32-year rule that ended in 1998.

"This ruling can disrupt the people's right to information. It's a violation against our new press law. I think the judge should learn more about that press law," Harymurti told reporters after the Tuesday session.

He said an appeal would be filed to a higher court soon. Winata and Koran Tempo are also locked in another defamation case.

---------------------------------

INDONESIAN MAGAZINE ORDERED TO PAY $1m IN LIBEL CASE

JAKARTA (AP/Pacific Media Watch): A court found an editor and reporter at a prominent Indonesian news magazine guilty Tuesday of libeling a businessman and ordered the magazine to pay him $1 million.

Tempo magazine was ordered to apologize in national newspapers and on television to Tomy Winata, owner of Arta Graha banking and property group, for an article last year that suggested he had attempted to open an illegal gambling den.

"The defendant has been proven to have acted against the law," Judge Zoeber Djadadi told the court.

Bambang Harymurti, Tempo's editor-in-chief, and Dedy Kurniawan, the reporter who wrote the article, were found guilty along with the magazine's publishing company, PT Tempo Inti Media Harian.

In a separate trial, Tempo is facing charges of libeling Winata for running an article suggesting he set fire to an indoor textile market in an alleged scam to win the rebuilding contract.

Winata, one of Indonesia's most powerful businessmen whose company holds several lucrative contracts with the military, has denied all the charges. The case has been seen as a key test for press freedoms in Indonesia, which shed a longtime dictatorship only five years ago.

"We have decided that the defendants must rehabilitate the good name of the plaintiff and apologize for their actions," the judge said.

Firman Wijaya, a lawyer for Tempo, said that his clients would appeal the verdict, "since it was unfair for us."

The verdict was immediately criticized by media groups which called it a setback for the country's freewheeling press and a possible indication of a return to the press restrictions that prevailed during the 32-year rule of ex-dictator Suharto.

"The decision is absolutely an effort to cripple the media institutions by those who have money and know that Indonesia's courts are corrupt," said Nezar Patria, secretary general of the Independence Journalist Alliance.

"This is part of a trend that uses laws that are holdovers from the dictatorship, which are at odds with the constitutional guarantees of freedom of press," said Christopher Warren, president of the International Federation of Journalists.

Last year, the editor of a racy tabloid Rakyat Merdeka was convicted of "spreading hatred" and handed a suspended six-month jail term over headlines that compared the president to a leach and a cannibal.

A Jakarta court also sentenced Rakyat Merdeka's news editor to five months in jail for defamation for publishing a cartoon of Parliament Speaker Akbar Tandjung shirtless and dripping with sweat. Akbar, a likely presidential candidate, was found guilty last year of corruption but is appealing the verdict.

+++niuswire

PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH ONLINE http://www.pmw.c2o.org

PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH is an independent, non-profit, non-government organisation comprising journalists, lawyers, editors and other media workers, dedicated to examining issues of ethics, accountability, censorship, media freedom and media ownership in the Pacific region. Launched in October 1996, it has links with the Journalism Program at the University of the South Pacific, Bushfire Media based in Sydney, Journalism Studies at the University of PNG (UPNG), the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism (ACIJ), Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand, and Community Communications Online (c2o).

(c)1996-2004 Copyright - All rights reserved.

Items are provided solely for review purposes as a non-profit educational service. Copyright remains the property of the original producers as indicated. Recipients should seek permission from the copyright owner for any publishing. Copyright owners not wishing their materials to be posted by PMW please contact us. The views expressed in material listed by PMW are not necessarily the views of PMW or its members.

Recipients should rely on their own inquiries before making decisions based on material listed in PMW. Please copy appeals to PMW and acknowledge source.

For further information, inquiries about joining the Pacific Media Watch

listserve, articles for publication, and giving feedback contact Pacific

Media Watch at: E-mail: delaro@clear.net.nz pcronau@hotmail.com Fax: (+679) 30 5779 or (+612) 9660 1804 Mail: PO Box 9, Annandale, NSW 2038, Australia or, PO Box 78028, Auckland 1002, New Zealand. New website: www.pmw.c2o.org


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news