World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 


First Victory At The Israeli Supreme Court

First Victory At The Israeli Supreme Court For Villagers

PRESS REPORT: High Court orders all work on Wall suspended for one week near all villages in Biddu, Beit Surik area

Last week's demonstrations (two Palestinians shot dead, an elderly man dead of a heart attack caused by tear gas inhalation and a fourth in intensive care, comatose with a bullet wound to his head) led to a Petition being filed by the Popular Committee to Resist the Wall in the NW Jerusalem region in the Supreme Court last Thursday.

The hearing took place this morning; the Court will again hear the matter next Sunday, March 7th at 8.00 a.m. The judges, led by Aharon Barak, issued an order to the Israel military to cease work for seven days on all sites where bulldozers worked last week.

They ordered the Army to hold hearings with all villagers objecting to the route of the "fence", something which until now they have not done; the judges asked why in the two months since confiscation orders were issued (three military jeeps left the orders on the ground on village roads in December), villagers had not responded to orders giving them 7 days to object.

Adv. Mohammed Dahle, on their behalf, said villagers had been unable to get land deeds, etc. from the Occupation's Civil Administration and other Israeli bureaucracies – who had told them such a process would take "months".

The judges also ordered the Israeli military to show villagers maps of the "fence" route, so they could know what exactly is being forced on them and how it will affect them. Apparently, the Israeli military had postponed meetings on various occasions recently with lawyers and villagers; the impression being that the Army was reluctant to meet or issue a conclusive map, which they say they prefer not to do because of "security".

Biddu, Beit Surik, Qattana, Al Qubeiba, Beit Anan, Beit Lekiya, Beit Duqqu and Beit Ijza villagers stand to lose 51,650 dunums of land, most of it outside the enclave, or prison, they will be trapped in. Two villages, Nebi Samuel and Beit Iksa, will also lose land to the Wall. Dahle said these land losses are not just a symptom of the Wall, villages have been constantly losing land for the past three years, due to settlement expansion.

They will also lose all eight water wells vital to their existence in summer. Their story, as Mohammed Dahle told the Supreme Court this morning, will be the same as Qalqilya's. A ghetto. Locked in on all sides by a Wall and "settlers only" Apartheid Road 443.

Israeli residents of Mevasseret Zion, the Israeli town neighbouring Beit Surik, but within the Green Line (1967, pre-Occupation borders) asked to join the Palestinians petitioning against the Wall. A group there says they want the barrier built on their land, as they are not farmers; they do not wish their neighbours to lose all their agricultural land and their only means of existence. Today's Ha'aretz front page talks of a revised "fence" route proposed to U.S. envoys visiting Israel 10 days ago. And the Hague judges deliberate. And the Supreme Court considers HaMoked's petition against the Wall. Meanwhile, the villagers of these tranquil villages – which have never produced any bombers - pray for justice.

For further details:

UNOCHA map showing fence route (zoom to 400%) at: http://www.reliefweb.int/w/fullMaps_Sa.nsf/luFullMap/6CEE3AF53B1E22A285256D= D4005D8B1E/$File/hic_optWBclos041103.pdf?OpenElement

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
World Headlines

 

At The UN: Paris Climate Agreement Moves Closer To Entry Into Force

The Paris Agreement on climate change moved closer toward entering into force in 2016 as 31 more countries joined the agreement today at a special event hosted by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. More>>

ALSO:

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The End Game In Spain (And Other World News)

The coverage of international news seems almost entirely dependent on a random selection of whatever some overseas news agency happens to be carrying overnight... Here are a few interesting international stories that have largely flown beneath the radar this past week. More>>

Amnesty/Human Rights Watch: Appalling Abuse, Neglect Of Refugees On Nauru

Refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru, most of whom have been held there for three years, routinely face neglect by health workers and other service providers who have been hired by the Australian government, as well as frequent unpunished assaults by local Nauruans. More>>

ALSO:

Other Australian Detention

Gordon Campbell: On The Censorship Havoc In South Africa’s State Broadcaster

Demands have included an order to staff that there should be no further negative news about the country’s President Jacob Zuma, and SABC camera operators responsible for choosing camera angles that have allegedly made the President ‘look shorter’ were to be retrained... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On A Bad Week For Malcolm Turnbull, And The Queen

Malcolm Turnbull’s immediate goal – mere survival – is still within his grasp... In every other respect though, this election has been a total disaster for the Liberals. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bidding Bye Bye To Boris

Boris Johnson’s exit from the contest for Conservative Party leadership supports the conspiracy theory that he never really expected the “Leave” option to win the referendum – and he has no intention now of picking up the poisoned chalice that managing the outcome will entail... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
World
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news