World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Envoy 'Alarmed' By Ongoing Israeli Military Op.

UN ENVOY 'ALARMED' BY ONGOING ISRAELI MILITARY OPERATION IN GAZA

New York, May 18 2004 5:00PM

The top United Nations envoy for the Middle East, Terje Roed-Larsen, said today he is alarmed by the death and destruction caused by the ongoing Israeli military operation in the southern Gaza Strip, and called on Israel to protect the civilian population.

Reports say that among the mounting casualty count are many civilians and some children under 16, Mr. Roed-Larsen said in a statement. Israel, as the occupying power, should act under the framework of international law, most critically in the protection of the civilian population, he added.

The envoy reminded the Government of Israel "that it has the responsibility to give free access to humanitarian workers - and that if the fighting escalates, which will further endanger civilians, it must also allow for search and rescue operations."

According to the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), many Palestinian families are leaving the Rafah camp and heading north to Khan Yunis, fleeing the fighting and fearing further demolition of homes by Israeli forces.

As many as 500 people have already taken refuge in UNRWA schools in Rafah. The Agency has pre-positioned emergency supplies such as blankets, mattresses and food at two schools in Rafah, to be used as reception centres for people fleeing or becoming homeless.

2004-05-18 00:00:00.000


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 

Ramzy Baroud: Year in Review Will 2018 Usher in a New Palestinian Strategy

2017 will be remembered as the year that the so-called ‘peace process’, at least in its American formulation, has ended. And with its demise, a political framework that has served as the foundation for US foreign policy in the Middle East has also collapsed. More>>

ALSO:


North Korea: NZ Denounces Missile Test

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters has denounced North Korea’s latest ballistic missile test. The test, which took place this morning, is North Korea’s third test flight of an inter-continental ballistic missile. More>>

ALSO:

Campbell On: the US demonising of Iran

Satan may not exist, but the Evil One has always been a handy tool for priests and politicians alike.

Currently, Iran is the latest bogey conjured up by Washington to (a) justify its foreign policy interventions and (b) distract attention from its foreign policy failures.

Once upon a time, the Soviet Union was the nightmare threat for the entire Cold War era – and since then the US has cast the Taliban, al Qaeda, and Islamic State in the same demonic role. Iran is now the latest example…More


Catalan Independence:
Pro-independence parties appear to have a narrow majority. More>>